The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Hiyas! I only have 4 chickens but 1 is a Welly so I wanted to join the club. Her name is Tea. My boyfriend wanted to name her Mr. T due to her stripe as a chick but I insisted on her having a girl name so Tea was our compromise. All the girls are very nice to each other, no one is pushy but there are the brave and the well... "chicken" chickens, Tea is in the middle. She's a follower. She's the look out, most curious, and likes to inspect everything but is never the one to actually go see what's up. She's the warning alarm and the most vocal. I'll be sure to update the next growth spurt or when she lays an egg. Tea at a couple weeks old. About a month old with her sisters. She's always interested in the camera. About 2 months with her buddy Eleanor (EE) and again with the camera. These are the most recent, taken this week at about 10 weeks.

10 weeks now:
1005591_4373360351828_1167111108_n.jpg

Hmmm... I'd say maybe a speckled sussex if there are spots of white showing up. They can both look very similar as chicks, and both have yellow legs.
Also EE's can look similar to a wellie chick's coloring, but they have green legs and fluffy cheeks. They could be mixed. How reliable is this breeder that you got them from? Did you get to see his breeding stock? It's very hard to say if they are pure before they are fully grown.

Are these Welsummer Chicks? I Went to buy some pullets from a guy who buys and hatches eggs and he said he had some Welsummers, some Barred Rocks and a few Cochins. I ended up getting a better deal if I bought the cage so I figured I would pick out the ones I want to keep and sell the rest. When I was trying to sex the ones I wanted to keep I noticed some white feathers coming in on the chest. I don't know if its just because they are young between 4 and 5 weeks or if they aren't really Welsummers. The other Welsummer pics I've seen don't seem to have any white feathers.

I also noticed 2 of the 9 have different patterns what do ya,ll think

I hatched some beautiful eggs from Brian Walden. Now the high anxiety time. Girls or boys. I have one that has a long eyeliner that goes all the way back to her neck...I know she is a girl. I have two, one is pictured here that has a very small eyeliner but does have a distinct V on top of it's head. Could the shory eyeliner still be girls? Also does the V look like a girl, I heard the boys have muddled markings in their heads? I appreciate any help! They are just a few weeks old 2-3.

Back
Top Bottom