The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Get a picture of her with her tail up. She looks like she was getting ready to jump of the rock here. Sixty degree angle on the tail is the desired look. Good leg color, I like the salmon in her breast feathers, too.
Good luck with her.
She looks really good - will raise her tail and strut ( normally ) when a bit older. She is quite young yet ... and might not lay until 21 - 25++ weeks old. My girl Mandy, didn't start until about 27 weeks old. Some go longer than that - or so I have read here. Her comb will grow larger before she lays, and will turn ( most likely ) a brighter red colour than she has at the moment. She has lovely full colour golden hackles and a nice salmon breast. Nice bird - just be patient - she will let you know when she is about to lay ....will make lotsa noise most likely when getting ready to lay her first egg. !!!
celebrate.gif
LOL. So - listen. Good luck ........... Cheers, AB.

Last edited:
Hm. Guess I'll just have to make them!
smile.png

I'm working on that! As are a few others. We're crossing the bantam Silver duckwing to the LF standard Welsummers. Should take a few generations, but hopefully we're successful. the key is to put the Silver rooster over the LF hen for the quickest uptake on the color pattern

I'm working on that! As are a few others. We're crossing the bantam Silver duckwing to the LF standard Welsummers. Should take a few generations, but hopefully we're successful. the key is to put the Silver rooster over the LF hen for the quickest uptake on the color pattern

Interesting way to go about it. Before reading the few posts above, I didn't know the SDW variety existed in bantams. They're cute little birds!

My end goal is actually Gold & Silver Crele.

I will most likely use a Barred Rock roo (heritage Ringlet-EB Thompson line) over Welsummer hens, then keep the best male produced from the breeding and take him back to Wellie hens again... that breeding, if my genetic theories are correct, should result in some Crele birds. The males will only be single factore barred though, so it'll take another few generations to get it right.

I'm aiming for a beautifully patterned, meaty and productive bird that is auto sexing.
smile.png

Last edited:
you may be interested in my other project then - I'm crossing Cream Legbars with Welsummers - I like the autosexing feature of the Cream Legbars - and the Crele pattern of the rooster. I also thought the offspring would be good for meat, and lay a pretty olive colored egg - which will make it easy to house the hens with my pure bred birds without worrying about confusing the eggs with either breed.

Hi guys! I am planning on getting a few welsummers next year because I think the dark eggs would be cool. Can someone give some info on them? Are they able to handle really cold weather? How big are they?

Back
Top Bottom