The Welsummer Thread!!!!

The Welsummer has a type/shape that is its own, it is fully described in the APA SOP. If you read it carefully you can see the differences. I do not like taking birds apart unless being asked by someone I know. The internet is full of info and has many contributers with opinions. Finding out the truth can be like finding a needle in a hay stack. The sop is not an opinion, its a the set standard for our heritage breeds and is your best reference for what your breed should look like. I am not a judge and am not trained to pick others birds apart. I am just a breeder. Piet

Last edited:
I have read the sop his chest is broad his tail fairly full and carried high he has at least fifteen percent brown on chest other than the less than desirable comb and red on legs i cant see the problem but i am new to this thats why i asked someone elses opinion if you are taking the time to criticize someones bird i think you should explain why

When folks ask for critique on their birds for breeding purposes, it is difficult to get good feedback. In order to actually provide meaningful feedback, the photos have to be shot at an almost professional photographers level, if that makes sense.

I am personally the world's lousiest photographer, so I understand how difficult it is. But the photos need to have bird, alone, in a pen or on grass. The bird needs to calm and posing himself casually and naturally. The photo angles need to be down, at the level of the bird and taken from several angles to provide helpful sights of the bird's head, chest, back, profile, tail, leg positioning, back line, etc. This simply isn't easy.

When asking for a bird's type, color and formation critique, it is virtually impossible for knowledgeable breeders to offer feedback. There's no offense intended, it is just very, very hard to say anything helpful. Plus, all too often when a person asks for feedback they aren't really prepared to have "helpful" feedback because that will inevitably mean pointing out the faults the the owner may or may not feel comfortable hearing about.

It's OK folks. This medium, a forum, isn't the greatest canvas to present birds for critique. Just the way it is.

I'm off to try to improve my photography skills. I honestly am terrible at it.

I understand i actually love constructive criticism i just didnt realize my pictures were not taken correctly for someone to accurately judge sorry i was not angry that piet said my bird was not the correct type i just wondered what he was seeing that i wasnt i have no experienced breeders to talk to and i saw many other birds get critiqued on this thread sorry

Amy, it's all fine.

It took me a long time to be able to understand what top breeders were even talking about. I've been with chickens for well over 50 years and what I still don't know, I really DON'T KNOW.
big_smile.png

This year, I took on some heritage, very, very rare, Rhode Island Reds. I feel like a kindergarten student starting all over again. Challenging to say the least. They're like NOTHING I have ever had before.

Take you time. Present your birds in the best possible photographic way possible. Then, be prepared to be told that perhaps your birds are from hatchery stock and not even in the ball park. That's OK. If that's the truth? We raise them and learn a lot along the way. I had an APA judge once tell me that some birds I showed him "ought to put in the stew pot as quickly as possible". Ha!!! How's that for blunt feedback? But I learned. I grew. My eyes got better at seeing what the judge saw that I couldn't see at first.

What helped me was actually seeing, live, in person, examples of top quality birds with my own eyes. WoW. Once I got my eyes back into their sockets and my heart rate steadied, I realized that no photo, no drawing will ever replace seeing the champions up close and personal. It changed my view forever.

I love your enthusiasm and your determination. Best to you.

Think i will look into local poultry shows in alabama. i am not showing my birds i just want to follow the standard to preserve the breed do you have to show birds to observe the judging

So cool!!!i was browsing and found a picture of a welsummer that really showed me something!! the shape of the body and beauty of the face and the perfectly yellow legs it was breathtaking i see now my males best quality is his beak! not much of a start but i think i have an idea whick direction to go like to a breeder!lol! thanks for being so helpful and encouraging!

Back
Top Bottom