The Welsummer Thread!!!!

My first wellie babies of 2013! There are 5, but only 4 are pictured. More eggs in my bator and it looks like I'll have a broody to finish them off for me. She was on the nest last night.

LL

love.gif

Do I understand correctly that the girls have eyeliner marks and the roo's have nothing OR a lighter eyeliner line?

It's not 100%, but yes. And females will have a well defined V on top of their head, males will have a messy V.

In my picture above, I think the chick on the far right is a male. The rest look like females right now. I'll know for sure in a few weeks.

It's not 100%, but yes. And females will have a well defined V on top of their head, males will have a messy V.

In my picture above, I think the chick on the far right is a male. The rest look like females right now. I'll know for sure in a few weeks.
my DD looked at your picture last night and said the same thing- the chick on the far right is a boy and the others look like girls! Please let us know what they do turn out to be! She does a good job with determing what our chicks are!

i have 12 hens and 2 roos and pick up 10 to 12 eggs a day every now and then i will get 8 and even there listed as none setters one of my hens is setting on a dozen eggs now and has been on four days i put my welsummers at the top of my will keep list .
along with my delawares / ancona / rir / and all 3 of the pendescinca breeds ( over look spelling ) but thaay are nice brids.

Hey guys! While I was deployed last year I had a friend watch my flock of Welsummers till I got back. Well long story short I now only have one rooster and one hen left out of my flock of 42 :( I'm needing to buy some eggs and would like someone who breeds for that dark egg with lots of spots big or small. Does anyone have any recommendations of who would be a good breeder to go to for my request? Thanks! Josh

Yes, last year I bought French Copper Black marans from a farm in Iowa that claimed the eggs were dark chocolate brown and showed enhanced photographs of the eggs. Mine arrived a medium brown and that is what all three are laying. As well she claimed they were from the two good lines and they all had major faults with white dots etc. I wish there would be rules prohibiting color enhancing. To date I still do not have a blue egg layer. I am getting some cream legbar hatching eggs next week ...my last ditch effort for blue.

Its really hard to take an accurate picture of egg color. I do agree that people shouldn't say the eggs are one color or a certain shade if they aren't, but every eye sees color different. She may have thought she had dark eggs. Even if you did get dark eggs from her, your offspring still could have ended up laying lighter colored eggs depending on the genetics of the roo.

As to the birds being from good lines.. .they probably are, but unless she maintained good breeding to standard, the offspring won't be quality. Every time someone asks "what lines are they from" it makes me want to scream!! Don't use the lines as a reason for choosing a breeder!! (unless its their own lines) You must see pictures of the birds, and even then you may not get quality.

Finally, on the blue egg, this breeder has good blue egg layers - http://chickenjunkie.com/

Hey guys! While I was deployed last year I had a friend watch my flock of Welsummers till I got back. Well long story short I now only have one rooster and one hen left out of my flock of 42
sad.png
I'm needing to buy some eggs and would like someone who breeds for that dark egg with lots of spots big or small. Does anyone have any recommendations of who would be a good breeder to go to for my request? Thanks! Josh

Where's Ruth???? she is the answer to this person's needs! She has beautiful eggs with nice big spots!

Back
Top Bottom