The Welsummer Thread!!!!

The sweet little wellie roo I posted about a while ago died. I had a tarp wrapped around my greenhouse where I was keeping them and the edge was frayed with strings coming off, and y'all know how wellies are, always so curious, he just snapped it right up. Judging by the autopsy I did one end of the string got wrapped around his tongue and the other end wrapped around the grass and food in his gullet. As the food passed through the string pulled tighter and tighter until it was bending his neck in an S-shape. He was still alive when I found him, I brought him in the house and put him in a pen, by then he was gasping for air, but I couldn't see the string to pull it out. A little while later he started going into convulsions, then literally died in my arms.
I am kind of sad about it, he was one of my faves, but at least I have another wellie roo for my girls.
That is a very sad story. I never thought of my chickens eating stings! I will need to take a look around, I think the tarp over their shelter is fraying but I never would have dreamt that they would try and eat it.
Very sorry for your loss
sad.png

We are ready to start a flock again and would like to work with welsummers. It has been a frustrating search on the Internet and was hoping that someone here on the byc had 1 doz so sell and ship to me up in south Lake Tahoe?

We are looking for a healthy strong line as I would want to breed them. The local feed store has some coming in may and the kids are freaking out. I tried to explain the difference between just layers and breeding stock..... They think I'm a pain I'm sure. I bribed them with the fun memories of hatching eggs!

So anyone ?
Thanks Kandi

We are ready to start a flock again and would like to work with welsummers. It has been a frustrating search on the Internet and was hoping that someone here on the byc had 1 doz so sell and ship to me up in south Lake Tahoe?

We are looking for a healthy strong line as I would want to breed them. The local feed store has some coming in may and the kids are freaking out. I tried to explain the difference between just layers and breeding stock..... They think I'm a pain I'm sure. I bribed them with the fun memories of hatching eggs!

So anyone ?
Thanks Kandi

I'm near Auburn. I do have a bit of a waiting list though. I'm still waiting for the rest of my girls to start back up from their molts.

Here's some of my flock/babies:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/happy-chooks-welsummers

Very nice pictures. Where did you pull your flock from? My last were barnies from peace of thyme but she has sold her entire flock since. Welsummers have a lot of the same qualities as the barnies and better laying numbers.
Also when is your availability and cost per egg and shipping? Can you describe your shipping protocol?

Thank you
Kandi

I can't get a straight answer for this question, so I figured I should ask here! What is the color of a Welsummer for the chicken genetics calculator? I am no genetics guru so please tell me the color on the chart that the site uses. I am trying to figure out what different OE crosses should physically look like. Thanks.

I can't get a straight answer for this question, so I figured I should ask here! What is the color of a Welsummer for the chicken genetics calculator? I am no genetics guru so please tell me the color on the chart that the site uses. I am trying to figure out what different OE crosses should physically look like. Thanks.

I think on the chicken calculator the default of black patterned gold duckwing will work, also gold duckwing (BBR/LB) on the search by example.

Realize that the chicken calculator has its limits and the phenotype will not always match the genetics since they make assumptions about the genetics going on. It will land you in the ball park, though. Ans its fun to play with!

Last edited:

when in doubt, ask Niclandia - great genetic expert

So I'm walking back from the hen house this evening with my one lone egg. My Wellie, Autumn, was first to start laying after the winter break and is the only one reliably giving me eggs. I saw my terra cotta pots and just had to put the egg there---yup, that's terra cotta alright!

Very nice pictures. Where did you pull your flock from? My last were barnies from peace of thyme but she has sold her entire flock since. Welsummers have a lot of the same qualities as the barnies and better laying numbers.
Also when is your availability and cost per egg and shipping? Can you describe your shipping protocol?

Thank you
Kandi
My flock originates from mostly Barber lines, but they are my line now. Lowell Barber has been deceased for quite a while now. I have added another line into my flock to further improve my flock.

My cost is $35 per dozen. I put peanuts in the bottom then line with bubble wrap. I wrap each egg individually in bubble wrap pouches and lay them in the box. When done, I fill with peanuts until there is just enough room to close the box. I've had good luck shipping this way and people have had good hatch rates.
So I'm walking back from the hen house this evening with my one lone egg. My Wellie, Autumn, was first to start laying after the winter break and is the only one reliably giving me eggs. I saw my terra cotta pots and just had to put the egg there---yup, that's terra cotta alright!
I had to look hard to find the egg!

Thank you
Kandi
Outpostwest (BYC member name) now owns Christina's flock - you can contact him if you want eggs

Back
Top Bottom