The Welsummer Thread!!!!

try here...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

i would start by letting them see each other threw a screen or some thing like that ..if you have room in the brooder [depending on how big the orps are ] and split the brooder so they can see each other but not be able to get at each other ..the more they get used to each other the better it will be when they first meet ..i split my run and my older birds were a yr old when i introduced the new girls that were about 18 weeks old ..i had them on grower finisher feed and my older girls were on layer feed ..so once my new birds could eat layer feed i started the introduction..at that age it was pretty tough ...but with your birds all on the same feed .i would slowly start getting them used to see each other threw the screen or fence ..you dont want the screen big enough for them to stick their heads threw it or they may get bit by the bigger birds..

hope this helps ..good luck ..

Do you think the baby on the left is a Welsummer? At the feed store they were labeled as Ameraucana which is obviously not true. Someone suggested Welsumer or brown leghorn. Their feathers seem to gray to me

Do you think the baby on the left is a Welsummer? At the feed store they were labeled as Ameraucana which is obviously not true. Someone suggested Welsumer or brown leghorn. Their feathers seem to gray to me
Actually that is what Ameraucana(feed store = probably EE) chicks look like....and Welsumer and Brown Leghorn and several other breeds. You'll probably have to wait until it grows up to know for sure.

What color are her (assuming it is a girl) legs? If an EE or Ameraucana the legs should be slate, greyish, or greenish. If yellow chicken legs, could be brown leghorn or welsumer.
Last year I got some EE's/Ameraucanas that were colored differently than the ones I had gotten before (Nut they did have greenish grey legs). They were a greyish chipmunk pattern and as adults lavender and laced, but they did have pea combs and they lay green/blue, greenish and pale mint green eggs.
I had gotten several welsumers at the same time and initially they looked alike until I realized the different color of the legs.
Now as adults they don't look anything alike.

One of our Wellsummer chicks at almost 4 weeks of age!

We got 4 Wellsummers along with 8 Buff Orpington chicks last month. This is my first experience with these birds and they have been a joy to have around.

The four musketeers are supposed to be female, but I think this little one is going to keep us guessing until either it lays an egg or starts to crow.
wink.png
The comb is about twice the size of the ones that we are sure are hens and the chest feathers are coming in almost black with a white streak down its chest and belly that the hens do not have. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that maybe she is a he because now that I have four of them, I really want a Welly rooster strutting around the place.

While these guys weren't planned they have been very much enjoyed as we watch them grow up.

One of our Wellsummer chicks at almost 4 weeks of age!

We got 4 Wellsummers along with 8 Buff Orpington chicks last month. This is my first experience with these birds and they have been a joy to have around.
I really want a Welly rooster strutting around the place.

While these guys weren't planned they have been very much enjoyed as we watch them grow up.

I'm going to say cockerel. Welsumer girls are supposed to wear eyeliner and have a dark stripe going back from the corner of the eye, and I don't see that in your bird.
Even my 1/2 welsumer olive eggers can be sexed that way.

I'm hoping he is a roo. His markings are much different from the hens who are getting bronze breast feathers and not loosing their eye liner.

In a world where people do not favor roosters I really like them. My roos stay home. With thirty acres I can always make room for them.

You can see my other 3 Wellys in this picture.

One of the little hens is standing next to a suspected roo. You sure can tell a difference when they are standing side by side.

Back
Top Bottom