The Welsummer Thread!!!!

arrt will get some pictures tomorrow as the good light is gone for the day.. The first batch of 15 Wellies (7/25/2026) all dark and typical of what the chicks are suppose to look like when they arrived and still dark several weeks old now..

The golden chick batch (8/22/2016) started off the same normal dark welsummer marked, only noticed the one that seemed grey that I posted earlier in this thread (his legs are not white they yellow). The order was 15 Welsummers and 15 Black Australorps in that order and again forgot to uncheck the free exotic chick box so I thought the grey one was the free chick. There is a more variety of light and dark types of browns for the Welsummers in this second batch now .

I do consider McMurray trusted have always gotten nice birds/fowl health, temperament, and breed type from them over 16 years. not saying there isn't something wrong with this batch breed type wise (stuff happens it would be a first for me buying from them) when the arrived it looked ok to me.. except that grey one stood out with the others being so dark
Ah, I see. Good info.
Probably a mix up on the odd ones....or an 'exotic'(I suspect what ever they have extra of and usually a male).
Hatchery Welsummers may or may not conform well to the SOP, and I'm not surprised that you got a mix of lighter and darker as they probably have multiple parent stock birds.
I'd just wait and see what they grow up to be, it's really hard to assess a bird when they are that young.
I assume straight run? At 5-6 weeks you should know males from females tho, based on comb/wattle growth and color.

Last edited:
Thanks, yes straight run and this is my first time with the Welsummers.. :) finding them very sweet and friendly. Can't say that for the New Hampshire Reds as they have gotten older, they are first on the butcher list, down right mean to the babies that doesn't work in my barn lol...

Thanks, yes straight run and this is my first time with the Welsummers.. :) finding them very sweet and friendly. Can't say that for the New Hampshire Reds as they have gotten older, they are first on the butcher list, down right mean to the babies that doesn't work in my barn lol...
Make sure they all have plenty of space...integration of new birds can be stressful and tricky.

Hey guys. I'm relatively new to welsymmers. Can any of you SOP breeders out there show/tell me what they look for in a good male?

Last edited:
Hey everybody! I just got 10 new chicks from Meyer hatchery and I'm having a hard time telling the difference between my 3 speckled sussex and my one welsummer. Those dang chipmunk chicks!! Anyway, I thought you wellie lovers would be able to help me figure out who's who. I'm pretty sure two of them are ss, but the other two are giving me a hard time. One is feathering in very slowly, and the other has a more white chest than the others (who have lots of yellow on theirs) and more dark feathers on her wings. I'll post some pics and see what you guys think. I go back and forth about which one I think is the wellie every day...

Chick #1 in question- she's the one with the whiter chest:

Chick #2 in question (she's on the left):

Just for reference, I'm pretty sure this is a speckled sussex:

So what do you guys think? These babies are tough to figure out. I feel like I'm going crazy trying to figure out who's who...any help would be greatly appreciated!

ETA: Today, I'm thinking chick #1 is my wellie, but I wanna know what you all think...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom