The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Quote:
What line(s) are those roosters? Barber?

They are out of eastern Oklahoma, I don't remember the breeders name, but the parent stock looked really good. I have 9-10 roos and about 8 pullets.

Quote:
What line(s) are those roosters? Barber?

They are out of eastern Oklahoma, I don't remember the breeders name, but the parent stock looked really good. I have 9-10 roos and about 8 pullets.

It would be interesting to see if they are Barber birds. I used to have a flock of barber birds, but I ended up selling the whole flock, once i used some of those breeders in my other pen, I am very happy with the lines that I have combined to get the birds that I have now.

Nate
http://shamrockfarm.webs.com

Quote:

It would be interesting to see if they are Barber birds. I used to have a flock of barber birds, but I ended up selling the whole flock, once i used some of those breeders in my other pen, I am very happy with the lines that I have combined to get the birds that I have now.

Nate
http://shamrockfarm.webs.com

Well a friend of mine bought out this particular breeder about a month ago. I can ask him what this breeders name was. I have seen the parent stock and they are REALLY nice birds. I will be culling in a few weeks and keeping only the best 3-4 roos, and then do a second cull this fall.

here are a few more pics of my wellies. Can't decide whick 3 roos I want to keep yet. They are only about 10-12 weeks old, so I am not in a big hurry.
52319_photo0553.jpg
52319_photo0552.jpg
52319_photo0550.jpg
52319_photo0548.jpg
52319_photo0543.jpg
52319_photo0541.jpg

My Wellies are just 10 weeks old and I've noticed that the males have some light gray or whitish feathers at the place where the tail meets the back. The feathers are dark everywhere except at the very base. I'm wondering if this is a fault or something that's normal for a young bird.

We have 3 hens (had 4 but one died recently defending her eggs from a snake) and 2 roosters (same ages) they don't fight, and are nice and noisy. We love that they "talk" to us whenever we are outside- they stand or pace at the gate until we come over. They don't like to be caught but they lay back and close their eyes when we hold them and like to be rubbed down. Ours only lay beige eggs. They are most likely crossed with what who knows- we got them at 8wks from a friend who got their mommas from a friend... they look identical to everything we've seen and read about Welsummers, except the egg color. Ours also have the gray at the base of the tail- it's darling, I mean- manly.

Cute post, especially the last comment "manly". I have a few very pretty hens from a hatchery and am curious about the egg color that I will see. I will not ordr from that hatchery again either way..........too many roosters. I am about to use the DRY ICE bucket this evening.

Back
Top Bottom