The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Quote:
I have to sell him because the only hens that I have for him (as of March) will be 15 Buff Orpington hens and my one Red Sex Link
hmm.png

Nate - Don't know what line he came from. I bought him at the Tractor Supply Co. twenty minutes from our house
wink.png

Oh, ok. So he is from hatchery stock(TSQ) - Which would explain why he has white/light legs - a TRUE welsummer should have CORN YELLOW legs! Leg color is the FIRST THING THAT I CULL FOR! I dont even look at the bird, until I get rid of all the ones that have white/off colored legs, afer that culling then I go for size/color, and comb last!

I would say if you can get $8.00 for him you'd be doing well. $10 would be pushing it i think. That is what i would sell my culls for that are not up to breeding standard. Just my opinion.

Nate

HI all, I do love my wellies do not get to spend much time on here anymore good morning everyone.. do have to say though that mine do not have corn yellow legs they are pumpkin orange ;-)..
Denna

Quote:
Oh, ok. So he is from hatchery stock(TSQ) - Which would explain why he has white/light legs - a TRUE welsummer should have CORN YELLOW legs! Leg color is the FIRST THING THAT I CULL FOR! I dont even look at the bird, until I get rid of all the ones that have white/off colored legs, afer that culling then I go for size/color, and comb last!

I would say if you can get $8.00 for him you'd be doing well. $10 would be pushing it i think. That is what i would sell my culls for that are not up to breeding standard. Just my opinion.

Nate

HI all, I do love my wellies do not get to spend much time on here anymore good morning everyone.. do have to say though that mine do not have corn yellow legs they are pumpkin orange ;-)..
Denna

lau.gif
gig.gif

Quote:
I was hoping that you would have gotten a nice bantam male out of the bunch! When i boxed them up, I included 5 bantams, 3 female, 2 male.

I also have nice nice boys growing up!!! Some are bigger than their dad! Im excited to start breeding this year, I have some realy nice up and coming young breeding stock! I really need to find my camera card, and get some pictures taken!!!

Nate

Quote:
Yeah, it is was quite fast!!! You should update some pics on here of them. Im going to try and get some pics of the birds again this week. :)

Nate

I saw your post on CL before and have been trying to find you online for a week! I finally found you on BYC! too funny. Anyway I'm just north of you in the Granstburg area. I will more than likely be placing an order with you within the next couple weeks!

You'll love WELSUMMERS!!! :)

Is Grantsbury up by Danbury/Webster, WI?

I havent had any ads on CL for a while now, sold out of pretty much everything, I will have some more roosters for sale when I do my last cull before breeding season in Feb/March. Any hens that I over winter I usually keep for eating eggs if they are not up to eating quality, plus people right now dont want to pay any money for hens, and all of mine would be pullets, hatched in September, but Im planning on keeping them all for now as layers for myself.

Careful on CL - There have been some people selling FEED STORE and PRIVETT welsummer adults and chicks. THey are asking $4-5 per chick.

Cant wait to hear from you, you'll love these guys. If you email me at: [email protected] - I can add you to my email list. I send out an email about once a month on what is available, and current prices, and if I am running a special for a hatch or something.

Nate

Quote:

Nate

Denna

Depends on what kind of corn you look at, lol - A Holland Breeder told me CORN YELLOW - But yes, Pumpkin orange is a great example of what to call it - maybe they have different corn over there? LOL

Breeding welsummers you will end up with White to yellow to orange/yellow legs. I always select the orange/yellow birds for breeding.

Nate

Quote:
He looks pretty good! Is he younger?

You can also see the variance in leg color of the hens legs - I have noticed the hens have more of the corn yellow legs, and the roosters have more of the orange yellow legs. The hens usually have the corn yellow legs, as most of them are laying, etc, and that will bleach out the color of the legs, but as a general rule its roos with orange yellow, and hens with corn yellow.

LOL

He looks like a nice, stocky roo! You may have also stated this before: but what line is he from?

Nate

I got him from an 80+ year young lady in La Cleade Idaho who got him from Kummers, she raised wellies for a long long time and just retired last fall.. he is about 6 months now, 3 of the hens i got from her also have this leg color it is my fav part of the wellies
lol.png
Nice eggs but I prefer the speckles and most they lay are speckleless...
roll.png

Denna

Nate,

I understand that you are raising the Dutch line of Welsumers, while most of those available in the US are the German line. What are your feelings about mixing the two lines?

Everyone is trying to improve their stock, but it seems like there is a limited number of gene pools about. Just curious about your thinking on this subject.

Back
Top Bottom