The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Quote:
Welcome to the Welsummer thread!

Look at overall health and vigor, if adopting or purchasing an older cockerel or mature roo (or any chickens for that matter) ASK AS MANY QUESTIONS AS YOU CAN about the bird/s and background. Don't be afraid to ask flock health history questions, how's fertility, do they throw any genetic defects, how's the egg laying rate, see current egg color if you can, look at parent stock, etc...etc...etc..... get as much info as you can.......IMO, this is the most important thing you can ever do when scouting out new blood or birds.
smile.png

Look for nice yellow legs, no white plumage anywhere on the bird, nice reddish bay eye color, good overall balanced body. Welsummers should not be scrawny and lanky, but they should have some substance to them, just not tanks on legs. The males should have a nice proud and very alert sort of boxy stance with a nice broad chest. Watch the birds demeanor around people or other birds. Watch for feather stubs on shanks or webbing of the toes, avoid squirrel tail, wry tail, crooked toes, cross beak..etc.

I know I am forgetting something and I know more will come by and give their advise and opinions too...but for now, I hope this helps a little.
smile.png

Hi everybody... Apparently I can join in this thread, as it appears I have two Welsummers... thought they were partridge Rocks!

Chester the Molester:
58552_chester2.jpg
58552_chester.jpg

The mystery pullet, identified on the "What breed is this" board as Wellie:
58552_partridgepullet.jpg
58552_partridgehen.jpg

What do y'all think?

Quote:
MsBear, are you looking for grown roosters or cockrels? I just gave away a few cockrels I hatched three weeks ago, but I can get them back if you are interested. ( the lady that took them is NPIP and so are we)

Are you coming to the chicken stock in Clarksburg on May 7?

Obviously I don't know what their combs will look like at that point. My stock came from Nate and I'm getting nice dark terracotta eggs with small speckles (almost like paint spatter).

There are some pictures of the parents and our eggs on our webpage. If this is what you are interested in PM me and we'll talk!

PS: We're not going to try to get to the Martinsburg chicken stock this year, its just too far for us to drive
sad.png

Quote:
Yes, Yes 12 henfun, get one. You'll never regret it!!! But know that hatching is additive.
I just ordered my 2nd 'bator.
wee.gif

hee hee hee hee!
wink.png
big_smile.png

Yepeeeeee, Pink,
wink.png
wee.gif

My new bator arrived yesterday. I'm all set now for my Pink Wellie eggs.
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

My second bathroom used to be called the guest bathroom. Now it's called the hatchatorium. LOL
lol.png

edit to add...........I'm a redhead with freckles, so I LOVE those speckled eggies!!!!

Last edited:
Hello all,

My Welsummers are all laying now. I just wanted to share a picture of the eggs that I collected this morning. I put them with the only thing green in my flowerbed (I cannot wait for spring).

Thanks,
Michael

64082_img_8109.jpg

Back
Top Bottom