The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Quote:
C'mon Chickie Chicks...time to come out and play!!!!
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

I dreamed last night they were all out when I got up, but ........... not. C'mon, peeps!!!!!!!

Quote:
wee.gif
I hope they are all hens!!

I hope two are roosters. I need to replace a couple of mine. Sorry about no pictures, my wife loaned our camera to a friend. When she returns it today, I will post pictures.
Question: Has anyone "helped" a chick out of the shell? I was about to clean out the incubator, and saw two eggs moving. When I checked them closer, a chick's beak was through the shell. I peeled off the shells, and the membrane was stuck to the chicks. I spent about 10 minutes peeling off the membranes. They look pretty rough, but I think one is going to make it (another Black Sumatra). The other chick (Welsummer roo x White Ameraucana hen) does not look so good. I have never done this before, and just wanted to know if anyone else has.

-Michael

Quote:
wee.gif
I hope they are all hens!!

I hope two are roosters. I need to replace a couple of mine. Sorry about no pictures, my wife loaned our camera to a friend. When she returns it today, I will post pictures.
Question: Has anyone "helped" a chick out of the shell? I was about to clean out the incubator, and saw two eggs moving. When I checked them closer, a chick's beak was through the shell. I peeled off the shells, and the membrane was stuck to the chicks. I spent about 10 minutes peeling off the membranes. They look pretty rough, but I think one is going to make it (another Black Sumatra). The other chick (Welsummer roo x White Ameraucana hen) does not look so good. I have never done this before, and just wanted to know if anyone else has.

-Michael

Yes, I have. The key is wetting the membrane with a wet washcloth and peel carefully. Stop if you see blood.

I don't usually help unless I know they have been trying to get out for quite a while. If they were glued in, then there is no way they can make it out on their own. I had one chick zip all the way around, then my humidity went up quickly then dropped from others that had hatched and it was really stuck. I wet the membrane, pulled the top off the egg, took off the parts where it was stuck, then put it back in the bator. The chick pushed itself out of the egg.

And don't worry about the gunk. It looks yucky, but within a few days, it will have it worked off.

Quote:

-Michael

Yes, I have. The key is wetting the membrane with a wet washcloth and peel carefully. Stop if you see blood.

I don't usually help unless I know they have been trying to get out for quite a while. If they were glued in, then there is no way they can make it out on their own. I had one chick zip all the way around, then my humidity went up quickly then dropped from others that had hatched and it was really stuck. I wet the membrane, pulled the top off the egg, took off the parts where it was stuck, then put it back in the bator. The chick pushed itself out of the egg.

And don't worry about the gunk. It looks yucky, but within a few days, it will have it worked off.

Ditto, I notice they are usually weaker when they first come out too, I think its because they didn't use their legs to kick out of the shell. Some of these make it and some don't. as you scan BYC about it you will see the term 'shrink wrapped" alot when referring to this. The inner membrane dries out and shrinks in on them, then they can't move to get out of the shell. This is part of the reason for "locking down" the incubator to retain humidity.

I finally got my camera back. How many boys and how many girls do you see?

The first picture is one of them all.
64082_img_8795.jpg

This is 1/2 of them (a little closer).
64082_img_8799.jpg

This is the other 1/2.
64082_img_8800.jpg

This last one is of a strange Welsummer that was born first. It was the first one to hatch, and I saw it come from a Welsummer egg (the darkest one I had in the incubator). Any ideas?
64082_img_8798.jpg

I think I see four girls and three boys that I can tell, I can't see the rest good enough.

I would bet that the little boy in the bottom right corner of the second picture came from one of my eggs.

Did the odd ball come from my eggs? There is the possibility that DH accidently packed an OE in with your Welsummer order... does it have a peacomb?

FaykokoWV,

No worries. I'm happy either way. BTW, it does not have a pea comb. If it turns out to be a "weird" Welsummer, I'll put it in with my OE flock. I am keeping all of the eight that I hatched from your eggs, and selling the rest to my friend down the street (he just wants dark eggs to eat).
I would recommend MrFancyPlants (FaykokoWV) to anyone looking to buy eggs. The eggs were packed very well, and I received them when they said I would (that's not always the case when buying eggs online).

Thanks,
Michael

Back
Top Bottom