The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Thanks for the welcome. I have been having fun trying to read through all the several hundred pages of this thread. I am not looking for perfect Wellies, as I have no desire to breed them, but I do want good tempered birds with nice dark eggs. I do not have a rooster, so there would be no cross breeding. I have read some stories online regarding folks who have ordered them from hatcheries expecting good quality, they pay a high price and then get a mediocre bird...I do not want that. So for those of you who are breeding and striving hard to keep lines strong and pure, do you cull out all of the "not excellent" birds or do you ever sell them to folks like me who want a good quality bird, but are not interesting in breeding? Just having it as a pet/egg producer with my family flock?

I have no desire to breed them, but I do want good tempered birds with nice dark eggs.

Ha ha! That's what I said when I started with wellies!
gig.gif

I have sold some of my pullets I've decided not to keep. Many people want layers, so I have no problem with rehoming them. Most people don't want roosters though.

I ship eggs, but not chicks. It's over an hour drive to the hub where you ship live birds, so it's just not doable for me cost and time wise. Plus, I'd probably worry myself silly over the little ones. So if you have an incubator, I could send you some eggs to hatch.​

Quote:
gig.gif

I have sold some of my pullets I've decided not to keep. Many people want layers, so I have no problem with rehoming them. Most people don't want roosters though.

I ship eggs, but not chicks. It's over an hour drive to the hub where you ship live birds, so it's just not doable for me cost and time wise. Plus, I'd probably worry myself silly over the little ones. So if you have an incubator, I could send you some eggs to hatch.

My husband was just telling me last night that if I wanted good Wellies I was going to have to invest in an incubator. LOL. I will look around and see what I find as far as incubators. Ha ha...I said when we got the first part of our flock that I didn't want to raise baby, I was only going to buy pullets...now here I am. Oh well I guess it is all part of that chicken math thing.

Quote:
gig.gif

I ship eggs, but not chicks. It's over an hour drive to the hub where you ship live birds, so it's just not doable for me cost and time wise. Plus, I'd probably worry myself silly over the little ones. So if you have an incubator, I could send you some eggs to hatch.

My husband was just telling me last night that if I wanted good Wellies I was going to have to invest in an incubator. LOL. I will look around and see what I find as far as incubators. Ha ha...I said when we got the first part of our flock that I didn't want to raise baby, I was only going to buy pullets...now here I am. Oh well I guess it is all part of that chicken math thing.

Welcome to it! It's chicken math at its finest! We actually made a homemade incubator using directions off the BYC section on incubators and have had good hatch rates so far from it.

Pardons for interrupting the current conversation, but does anyone here know of any breeders that are still sending hatching eggs? I have several nice pullets that are about 5 months old and both nice roos from local breeders I was supposed to aquire were lost to predators, so I'd like to hopefully get my hands on some nice lines ASAP
smile.png
so if you know of anything, shoot me a PM or post here..

Many thanks!!

(if anyone is in the VA area and will be attending the Gilmanor swap, I'll be there!)

Last edited:
I'm still shipping eggs. My flock is Barber lines. I only have 3 girls laying at the moment. (2 are pullets - one has been laying a couple months now and the other just started yesterday) I'd like to give a couple weeks for the newest layer's eggs to get larger. (and so I can check fertility on the first few) PM me if you are interested and I'll send pictures, etc.

Quote:
For sure! She had no eyeliner, but had a pretty well defined V on her head.

So sorry to hear you are having family issues. I hope everything improves for you and your family.
hugs.gif

Thank Happy Chooks! I PM'd you.

EweSheep: I did go on the WCNA site and emailed 3 breeders so far, 1 doesn't have eggs, and I havent heard back yet from the other two. And for irony, two of the VA breeders on your site I'm friends with, 1 of which I was going to be getting the roo from but had a predator issue, and the other is in the same boat as me: trying to track down nice roos
smile.png
I'm certainly happy to get eggs from out of state, I just can't drive too many hours to pick up a roo..

Quote:

Many thanks to Opa , Pink Chick, and Happy Chooks for the advice on priorities when culling. That definitely helps.

Back
Top Bottom