The Welsummer Thread!!!!

I get my Wellies Friday! They were finally born! Yay.

So funny story....I decided Wellies were on the list of must haves. There is a local farm who had them on the list of breeds. So I contacted the woman, explained what all I wanted (4 different breeds) this was way back in December. Told her I wanted them in March. She agreed. About a month ago, I decide I want to add 2 breeds, so I email and ask if that will be a problem. All of a sudden my 12 day old chicks can no longer be sold as day old, I have to wait till they're POL and they go from 5 per chick to 30 per bird! Umm...no!

So I start looking around again....Whitmore Farms isn't that far from me, so I order 3 Wellies and 3 Delawares. Then I get on here and find out that Wellies from there are sought after....made me VERY happy!

So funny story....I decided Wellies were on the list of must haves. There is a local farm who had them on the list of breeds. So I contacted the woman, explained what all I wanted (4 different breeds) this was way back in December. Told her I wanted them in March. She agreed. About a month ago, I decide I want to add 2 breeds, so I email and ask if that will be a problem. All of a sudden my 12 day old chicks can no longer be sold as day old, I have to wait till they're POL and they go from 5 per chick to 30 per bird! Umm...no!
So I start looking around again....Whitmore Farms isn't that far from me, so I order 3 Wellies and 3 Delawares. Then I get on here and find out that Wellies from there are sought after....made me VERY happy!

Yeah!!! babies, our Wellie girls have so much personality, they always have something to say when you go into the coop!

I have agree wth the cameras, it gets even better as your kids start to get older and then the learning curve on technology goes way up! :lol:

You will be well please with your Whitmore Farms stock. I have to wait until next year to get any from Will and save up for a 25 chick order!!

I recently saw photos in the Ameraucana Club Bulletin of Will's Ameraucana's and they had nice blue eggs. I will have one of his Roosters this year and have at least 4 full Whitmore Welsummers line birds in my flock.

Remember to do the sugar in the warm water for them before giving any feed for the first hour or two and dip their beaks in the waterdish. I also put marbles in the water dish so none accidentally 'drown'.

How much sugar in the water is the right amount? Anyone?

Tomorrow is the BIG day!!!! My Whitmore Farms chicks arrive. Welsummers, Blue and Black Copper Marans and their black and blue Ameraucana's. They state the Ameraucana's lay dark sky blue egg. I sure hope so! I am excited! Does anyone have their Ameraucanas on this list and are their eggs big and blue?? They also say their Welsummer eggs are dark too. CAN NOT WAIT!

I hope they are OK. They were shipped on Monday. First time I have every received chicks that took two days.

Had to share the news

You are VERY LUCKY to live near Whitmore. He DOES have nice birds!!

I have been raising a flock of 15 welly hens for about a year now and have been getting eggs for about 6 months. To date I have been getting about 6-7 eggs a day for the gals. Is that about average or should I expect more? Thanks for any comments

I have been raising a flock of 15 welly hens for about a year now and have been getting eggs for about 6 months. To date I have been getting about 6-7 eggs a day for the gals. Is that about average or should I expect more? Thanks for any comments
I don't think that is a bad number at all, we have about 6 welly hens and they lay 3-4 per day but some days they decide to take a day off
smile.png

Oh yeah, only specialized camera stores would have them. I found Walmart got a few films on hand. And they still hve their two developing machines but not running as often. Walgreens too!

I used to remember the mail order developing companies, some were pretty good!

And find someone to develop it. All the stores are getting rid of their developing machines. My son had a disposable camera and I had a heck of a time finding someone to develop it.

Last edited:
And find someone to develop it. All the stores are getting rid of their developing machines. My son had a disposable camera and I had a heck of a time finding someone to develop it.

That's for sure! I used to shoot a LOT of photography but life takes its turns and I haven't been doing as much as I used to. I know I don't have to tell anyone on here how much time one loses when they get into chickens - especially breeding, showing, etc. I'm already dreading the fact that I've got to wash 15 birds tomorrow for the show on Saturday. Anyways, even though I wasn't shooting all that much, I still know how virtually impossible it is anymore to find someone that sells film or a place that you can take it - so they can ship it off - to be developed.

I spent a TON of $$ on this 7D and accessories but I can already see that I'll save money in the long run too. I've only taken it out once thus far to shoot any pics but, even just that one time, I shot like a hundred pics and deleted 90% of them. I REALLY like the idea of being able to do that as well as see your picture immediately after you've taken it so you can decide if you want to play with the exposure any. Plus this 7D has more bells & whistles than I'll ever use. I'm not sure if I've ever shot any black & white photos before but when we had our snowstorm a month or so ago, I couldn't resist trying out the monochrome function on the camera. If I can ever figure out how to resize the pics to something smaller on Picasa, I could post a few on here.

God Bless,

Uh oh, same seller!
barnie.gif

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Welsumme...463?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc35e338f

Any of the pictures yours? Let us know!

This same seller "lifted" my Faverolle bantam hen off from this BYC and he is doing it again to other people's pictures. If he is "lifting" your pictures, let us know and we can flood his emails. Whitmore Farms having problems with this seller as well. Ebay isn't doing squat.

Now, if one can tell me who is the person, this person will be banned from the WCNA for unethical reasons and blantantly being defiant. PM me his real name.

Back
Top Bottom