The Welsummer Thread!!!!

I have read that Welsummers are great layers, and they ARE friendly. They are routinely jumping up into our hands (most of them anyway). Several seem VERY attached to us.

My question is this, how do they Winter in cold climates?

And also if they don't get broody, how do we propagate?

Thanks!

Well, you get a bantam...of your choice..I like the cochins and Silkies..they are great mamas. Or, a Wyondotte if you want a larger chicken to be the mama. You steal those eggs from the Welsummer..don't worry, she won't notice..and put them under a hen that has gone broody. Or, like someone here said, get a bator, but warning here...once you use that bator, well, let's just ask, have you ever heard of the words...chicken math?
big_smile.png

The flock I have came from Nate Vanwey, who lives in Wisconsin. I would say they are able to tolerate a harsh winter if they live there!

I use an incubator to make more, but like others say, you could keep a broody breed on hand to hatch for you.

Here's a photo of my two Welsummer chicks (age 10 weeks) with some of my BCM "chicks" (aged 14 weeks but the size of a full grown RIR). The Welsummers are currently about 1/3 the size of the BCM's, which has improved from two weeks ago when the Wellies were only about a quarter the size. I've been keeping the poor Wellies inside this large cage (which is inside the run with the BCM's) for 2 weeks now, because the BCM's would peck the babies unmercifully and I was afraid they'd kill them. I just couldn't stand them in that little cage anymore, and since they've gotten a little more size on them I decided I'd try this creep method by turning the cage on end. The Wellies can get thru the wire but the gigantor Marans can't squeeze their fat butts thru. It has been pretty peaceful out there today, with only a few attacks. I know there will be some struggles in the pecking order, but the Wellies are still so much smaller they don't stand much chance if a Marans gets really ugly.

Are there any lines of Welsummers that lay shiny eggs? I love their personalities, but I like shiny eggs better than matte.
Thinking, not the chicken for you then. :)) Shiny eggs..I've heard of the EE's giving shiny eggs, and the Rocks are famous for smooth shiny eggs..anyone else think of, or have had a chicken that lays shiny eggs? My Partridge gave the smoothest shiny egg.

We are looking for some Welsummer chicks - we love this breed and would really like to find someone who is offering young chicks or even started pullets. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. (I haven't read through the entire thread - so I apologize in advance if there are already posts from breeders that have chicks.)

Here's a photo of my two Welsummer chicks (age 10 weeks) with some of my BCM "chicks" (aged 14 weeks but the size of a full grown RIR). The Welsummers are currently about 1/3 the size of the BCM's, which has improved from two weeks ago when the Wellies were only about a quarter the size. I've been keeping the poor Wellies inside this large cage (which is inside the run with the BCM's) for 2 weeks now, because the BCM's would peck the babies unmercifully and I was afraid they'd kill them. I just couldn't stand them in that little cage anymore, and since they've gotten a little more size on them I decided I'd try this creep method by turning the cage on end. The Wellies can get thru the wire but the gigantor Marans can't squeeze their fat butts thru. It has been pretty peaceful out there today, with only a few attacks. I know there will be some struggles in the pecking order, but the Wellies are still so much smaller they don't stand much chance if a Marans gets really ugly.

maybe this will change when the Wellies get bigger, my girls seem to be on the top of the pecking order, Good Luck!

maybe this will change when the Wellies get bigger, my girls seem to be on the top of the pecking order, Good Luck!
I sure hope so! I originally had 6 BCM's but 2 turned out to be roo's, so I sold them and got the 2 Welsummers. I just LOVE the Wellies, they are so sweet! I somehow just can't develop an attachment to the Marans.... they are nervous, flighty, and to put it nicely, not the sharpest pencils in the box. My other chickens (RIR, Australorp, and sex links) will gladly eat any and all treats. The Marans?????? No, they have turned up their nose at EVERYTHING including scratch, tomatoes, greens, scrambled eggs, etc.... the only thing I've found that they will eat is their crumbles, and cantaloupe. They also won't roost on the roost bar, instead they all attempt to crowd onto the windowsill in the coop, with one or more constantly falling off. Thank goodness the Wellies seem to be normal and go after treats, and act like normal chickens. I ALMOST traded the Marans for some more Wellies, but am intrigued by the thought of the dark dark eggs. If any of the Marans don't have DARK eggs when they start laying then they'll be gone and I'll get more Wellies in their place.

I sure hope so! I originally had 6 BCM's but 2 turned out to be roo's, so I sold them and got the 2 Welsummers. I just LOVE the Wellies, they are so sweet! I somehow just can't develop an attachment to the Marans.... they are nervous, flighty, and to put it nicely, not the sharpest pencils in the box. My other chickens (RIR, Australorp, and sex links) will gladly eat any and all treats. The Marans?????? No, they have turned up their nose at EVERYTHING including scratch, tomatoes, greens, scrambled eggs, etc.... the only thing I've found that they will eat is their crumbles, and cantaloupe. They also won't roost on the roost bar, instead they all attempt to crowd onto the windowsill in the coop, with one or more constantly falling off. Thank goodness the Wellies seem to be normal and go after treats, and act like normal chickens. I ALMOST traded the Marans for some more Wellies, but am intrigued by the thought of the dark dark eggs. If any of the Marans don't have DARK eggs when they start laying then they'll be gone and I'll get more Wellies in their place.

More Wellies is always a good decision
wink.png

We are looking for some Welsummer chicks - we love this breed and would really like to find someone who is offering young chicks or even started pullets. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. (I haven't read through the entire thread - so I apologize in advance if there are already posts from breeders that have chicks.)
Knowing what part of the country you live in can be a factor in someones ability to help you. Also welcome to BYC and to the Welsummer thread.

Back
Top Bottom