The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Also white feather tips on roo's flight feathers? Normal? I keep looking at WCNA's pics of roos to compare my little guys (and maybe they are too young and haven't fully feathered yet)... but I also see some white striped feathers on only 1 roo on WCNA's page.

Going from the pictures you posted, if that were my bird I'd eat him and I'd also note who his parents were, look for any white in his brothers & sisters, and do my best to eliminate any of that blood in my flock. White is a dominate gene and you want to get rid of it.

God Bless,

My 19 week old pullet. she is very sweet and loves to jump on my lap. Does she have the correct eye color? My cockerels eyes are yellow, but her's are more reddish/orange.

Here she is again with my Marraduna Euskal Oiloa. It's a battle to see who will jump on my lap first.

She has a little wave or twist in her comb. Is that something I should be concerned about if I breed her?

Last edited:
My 19 week old pullet. she is very sweet and loves to jump on my lap. Does she have the correct eye color? My cockerels eyes are yellow, but her's are more reddish/orange.

Here she is again with my Marraduna Euskal Oiloa. It's a battle to see who will jump on my lap first.

She has a little wave or twist in her comb. Is that something I should be concerned about if I breed her?

Very pretty girl and nice looking rooster you posted a few pages back. Are they from my eggs? The roos change in color a bit as they age so you won't really know what he will look like till he's grown. The girls pretty much stay the same. She's a beauty.

Very pretty girl and nice looking rooster you posted a few pages back. Are they from my eggs? The roos change in color a bit as they age so you won't really know what he will look like till he's grown. The girls pretty much stay the same. She's a beauty.

Ruth, Yes, they are from your eggs. They are wonderful girls. Extra sweet. The cockerel is coming along nicely. His color is looking good. The only faults he has is light colored eyes and and extra point on his comb. I'm not breeding to show them, so I don't think that is bad at all. I'm thrilled with them!!!
ya.gif

My Orpingtons are coming along nicely too. Four big fluffy girls. I'll post some photos of them on another thread.

Here is my Wellie Roo...he still hasn't tried to crow yet, but hes turned one of my hens broody. He isn't really traditional colouring though...
I had posted him before, but its amazing how different his colouring changes from month to month.

Going from the pictures you posted, if that were my bird I'd eat him and I'd also note who his parents were, look for any white in his brothers & sisters, and do my best to eliminate any of that blood in my flock. White is a dominate gene and you want to get rid of it.

God Bless,
Sigh.... you've just confirmed my fears - knew I'd have to cull him. It's just him and a sister hen with the white tips. But am surprised that it's a dominate gene; would have thought it was recessive.

Here's a question for Welsummer enthusiasts! We have a 10 month old Wellie who started laying back in the spring, and at first her eggs had lots of big, dark speckles, but lately the speckles are smaller and less distinguishable from the overall color of the egg. She's still eating and laying like crazy, no changes otherwise in her looks, behavior, or eggs. As far as diet, I'm sure she's getting more insects now in the summer months as our five birds free range all day every day in a gigantic fenced yard. Is this decrease over the first year in egg speckles a typical phenomenon for Wellies? Also, I've heard Welsummers only lay for about three years. Is that true?

Back
Top Bottom