The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Beautiful eggs! Where did you get your stock from originally?
Thank you very much! I hatched the majority of my birds I bought from a breeder in Iowa as eggs and hatched them out. Then I have hatched out a second generation from them also.

Last edited:
Hello!
frow.gif

I've waded through this entire thread over the last couple weeks, and feel as if I know many of you! We've just come off a state quarantine for MG,
sickbyc.gif
(gotten from who knows where) and we are currently restocking. Along with that comes reviewing all our goals. Since I need colorful egg layers fastest and first, I started off ordering hatchery birds of several different breeds, and I'll do the same in the spring when more are available. There are a couple breeds that I want good, showable stock for, though.
clap.gif
I've already ordered hatching eggs within driving distance for my English Orpingtons, and I'd like show quality Wellies too, in the spring. I'll likely order chicks from Whitmore, but I'll also want at least one other line to play with. I'm hoping for recommendations, pros and cons of one line over another, strengths and weaknesses.

Thanks for any info you can offer, and nice to meet you all!
Meg

Can I just tell you guys that my Welsummers crack me up. My other girls (2 Brahmas, 2 EEs and a BO) will be pecking around the yard contentedly and my 2 Welsummers will be hopping up into my fruit trees and stretching their necks to reach my blueberry bushes. The are quite a bit more acrobatic than the others and I am sensing I might have a wing trimming coming up soon.

the third egg from the left is a bit too light and white speckles??? Not common at all in Welsummers. Strange hen laying that stuff LOL!

Looking good!
Here are a couple pics of some of my welsummer eggs I got this week. I just love the different colors I get!

Click on the picture image to get a much more up close detailed look.

By the way I have some of these eggs for sale, if anyone is interested. Just message me.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/717797/welsummer-hatching-eggs-12

Tail carried too low (see APA standard, and also read stuff about the breed in the UK and the Netherlands) although the Germans and the Scandinavians want them with a tail carried much lower than we (and the British and the Dutch) do. I like the colors except I would prefer more brown mottling in the black (breast/belly). I also prefer the smaller comb as some of our males tend to have a comb that goes too far out toward the tip of the beak.

Back
Top Bottom