The Wyandotte Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by roocrazy, Dec 27, 2009.

1. BlakesWife

BlakesWife Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2009
    Iberia Parish, Louisiana
    Do you remember why you were told it's a big no no? I'm asking because I have no info on this type of thing what so ever, so any/all knowledge I can get, would be great.
    I guess essentially that yes, it would be a lavender laced red, or possibly lavender laced gold. (Not sure which way it would go because lav dilutes)
    From what I did read, there's a seperate gene for both the andalusian blue and lavender, so essentially you could breed a chicken that is both lavender as well as andalusian blue.
    My original question was asking basically if it was possible to breed a self-blue laced red Wyandotte and have it be consistent over generations.
  2. HallFamilyFarm

HallFamilyFarm APA ETL#195

Jan 25, 2010
    Monticello, Arkansas
    Quote:Well the two are definitely splash looking. Will try to get photos in the morning. Out of 24 eggs we hatched 10 black chicks, 2 "splash" and have 7 still pipped. Five eggs were clear or undeveloped.

We are very pleased! Not bad out of shipped eggs! Thanks tandersphoenix for some good eggs!
  3. Aj1911

Aj1911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    this is blue bell my broody blue wyandotte hen, she has some good colors, i am planing on ordering BLRW eggs for her to hatch (might as well as i want some and she wont give up tell she hatches [​IMG] )

this is lacey one of my other blue hens she has very good light blue colors

this is star she has the darkest colors of my 3 blue hens

this is splash my blue splash rooster and yes he is a little aggressive [​IMG]

this is roo my GLW rooster

this is jasmine the one GLW i hatched last year, she has very interesting colors and lacing

and this is chicken little, jasmines mom

atm i think she is an internal layer with how shes been acting + a swollen abdomen, which sucks, i just lost my favorite RiR to the same thing
  4. rtroxel

rtroxel Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2010
    Northwest Indiana
    Quote:I think the answer is yes. But in answering, we have to ask two more questions [​IMG] 1. What will the blue lacing look like? 2. What will happen to the "golden" color? .

Maybe that's why it's not too hard to find violet laced whites, but people aren't breeding violet laced reds....? Or maybe it just hasn't been done.
  5. turbo

turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2007
    Eastview, Ky
    Violet Laced Wyandottes will not breed would have to keep making the same cross each time to produce them.

You would be better off to breed blue to blue until you have a consistent color of blue you are looking for. I would not use the lavender gene to accomplish you would get that bad feathering gene that goes along with lavender...which is really bad on a wide feathered bird like a Wyandotte. I would also think the Lav gene would turn your mahogany red into a very ugly brassy-gold color..

6. Inkheart

Inkheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    I was hoping someone could give some insight here. I have Bantam rocks - very calm - sweet - hardy - great layers. How does the bantam Wyandotte personality etc compare to the rocks ???
  7. ItsAZOO32

ItsAZOO32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    Titusville, Fl.
    Hi everyone!

I hatched a batch of eggs this weekend and these are from the Blue Laced Red Eggs. They all look different so I was wondering of anyone could help me predict actual color or gender ( not sure if BLRW have any sex-linked trait). One of these MIGHT be Blue too... (sorry about the picture orientation.. my phone flipped them in email or something [​IMG]

Chick #1

Chick #2

Chick #3

I have a couple more that I will try to get later but the other two look like #3.

Thanks in advance! [​IMG]
    Last edited: May 2, 2011
  8. colby318

colby318 got 'dottes?

Jul 14, 2008
    Stamping Ground, KY
    Quote:No expert but
    #1 dark blue
    #2 black laced
    #3 ooh, not sure. Doesn't quite look like a splash
    What were the parents?
    Last edited: May 2, 2011
  9. sunshineyarns

sunshineyarns Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Hmm, this is what my blue laced red Wyandotte looked/looks like:

At 5 days old:

At 3 weeks old:

At 4 weeks old:

At almost 7 weeks old, taken today!

I love her so much, she is just one of the sweetest chickens... I REALLY want a Golden Laced --- I might have to wait a year or two for that [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by