The Wyandotte Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by roocrazy, Dec 27, 2009.

1. ggrap

ggrap Songster

Jun 5, 2007
    Colorado
    Thank you. I don't know how old it is, so not sure if a Bantam. I thought it was a roo but some are saying pullet.

2. BlakesWife

BlakesWife In the Brooder

Apr 19, 2009
    Iberia Parish, Louisiana
    But would that cross make them sex-linked?
    I suppose one could skip the blue version of blrw and get the black version instead. Mate a "black" blrw with a lav orp. The lav gene dilutes the deeper red tone, which is why it'd probably be best to start with the blk blrw since they tend to show a deeper red. Virtually creating a lav gold laced wyandotte. Quite a few generations to perfect it though, without losing the lav/lav one would need to maintain the consistency, since lav would be needed from both parents in order to get the lav/lav combo in offspring. I'm rambling now, aren't I? Don't even know if I'm making sense. lol

3. HallFamilyFarm

HallFamilyFarm APA ETL#195

Jan 25, 2010
    Monticello, Arkansas
    But would the lav gene dilute the red/gold gene as well?

On another subject, would someone post a photo of a splash and/or blue wyandotte day old chick? We have some Black Wyandotte Bantams hatching and two look like splashes. The breeder claims they only have Black and have never had any light colored chicks hatched. These seem like they are splash. Will know for certain in about 4 weeks!

4. tandersphoenix

tandersphoenix Songster

Feb 25, 2011
    Just be patient with them. You will see [​IMG]

5. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Songster

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    [​IMG]

splash is in the top left corner

6. BlakesWife

BlakesWife In the Brooder

Apr 19, 2009
    Iberia Parish, Louisiana
    Yes, it does dilute. But to what degree, I am unsure. From what I've read, it will change the black to lav and the red to a straw color. I'm not well versed in chicken genetics at all. I'm not sure if the Mh enhancers in the black blrw counteract the lav diluter. Was hoping someone with enough knowledge of it would know one way or another if it would completely dilute it, or not, because of the Mh enhancer.

7. GhostRider65

GhostRider65 Songster

Mar 6, 2011
    NE Wisconsin
    awwwww cute babies mine are growing like weeds, heres a few pictures any guess on gender from the experts?
    [​IMG] heres 1 resting with my EE
    [​IMG] i think this is a silver laced
    [​IMG] the other red laced?

8. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Songster

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    Quote:That is a blue wyandotte cockerel......and blues come in standard and bantam.

9. turbo

turbo Songster

Oct 23, 2007
    Eastview, Ky
    Quote:So I am not really understanding what you are trying to do....are you trying to get lavender laced reds? or a consistent blue on your BLRW? Because you can get a consistant blue on your BLRW if you breed blue BLRW to blue BLRW on a long term basis..say three generations. When you throw a splash in the mix your blue coloring is all over the spectrum of blue...

I have always heard it is a big no no to breed lavender to Andalusian blue, your suppose to use blacks....

10. turbo

turbo Songster

Oct 23, 2007
    Eastview, Ky
    Quote:I usually don't this, but after looking at that variety, I have to say I don't like it! I do kind of wonder if it would look better over gold and mahogany. Seems like an easy cross to make if you could find some violet laced and cross them with Golden Laced...

Rudy that Partridge cockerel I got from you last fall is really looking good....he needs to be shown this fall, I dont like to enter birds that I wasnt the breeder of...I may have get with you and see about entering him in your name. This guy has crazy width..great color...and he is as big as my SLW.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by