The Wyandotte Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by roocrazy, Dec 27, 2009.

1. rtroxel

rtroxel Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2010
    Northwest Indiana
    Quote:Educate me...
    I don't have any personal experience raising partridge. Is the brassy undesirable?

ps. I'm slowly building my flock of black wyandottes. I think next year I'll add buffs, also.

So, with parti-colored birds, like SL, GL, Partridge and Silver Pencilled, etc., the male and female have distinct but related patterns. When the SOP was developed, many of the varieties were just being established. The goal was to breed the most beautiful birds possible and so, the writers came up with a standard that they thought was perfect.

If we look at Partridge/SP as an example (since that what I have), the breast color of the male should be black with no or very little red/white(SP). In a hen, the breast should be well laced with full lacing and closed lacing: No solid colors! Actually, if you mate a male with no red in the breast, it is more difficult to get excellent lacing, even if you use well-laced females. Sure, if you hatch 200, you'll find a handful that you like, but if you used a male like the one in the picture, you might find 30-50 instead of 5-10 that you like.

Lets use hackle color as a further example. The hackle of the male should be solid black with a mahogany edge. The female should be laced. If you have solid hackles in the females, they will throw solid hackled males. Unfortunately, they will not throw as nicely laced of females as you would like. If you have a male with some off color in the hackles, that could translate to better hackles in the females, but he is not as show quality as you would like.

From this comes the idea of "double mating." That is where you use a male that is excellent with females that compliment his color but themselves do not have excellent female color. You use females with excellent color with a male that compliments them but actually looks like the male in the pic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With a little bigger pic, you can see the lacing all over him better. Look at the male in bottom pic. His breast is black and his wings are solid colored. Alternatively, the Pullet breeding male is laced in the breast, wings and even the saddle.

How was that? Edumacated? BTW, if you would like some personal experience, something could be arranged...[​IMG]

2. barngirl

barngirl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2009
    Davis County
    Can anyone tell me if BLRW are accepted at 4-H shows for county fairs? I thought maybe they would not be allowed to be shown cause they are not a recognized breed by APA yet. Does anyone show their BLRW?

HOOF,WOOF,and PEEP on this farm.

3. turbo

turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2007
    Eastview, Ky
    Quote:You can show them as AOV, all other varieties...

4. turbo

turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2007
    Eastview, Ky
    Quote:Educate me...
    I don't have any personal experience raising partridge. Is the brassy undesirable?

ps. I'm slowly building my flock of black wyandottes. I think next year I'll add buffs, also.

So, with parti-colored birds, like SL, GL, Partridge and Silver Pencilled, etc., the male and female have distinct but related patterns. When the SOP was developed, many of the varieties were just being established. The goal was to breed the most beautiful birds possible and so, the writers came up with a standard that they thought was perfect.

If we look at Partridge/SP as an example (since that what I have), the breast color of the male should be black with no or very little red/white(SP). In a hen, the breast should be well laced with full lacing and closed lacing: No solid colors! Actually, if you mate a male with no red in the breast, it is more difficult to get excellent lacing, even if you use well-laced females. Sure, if you hatch 200, you'll find a handful that you like, but if you used a male like the one in the picture, you might find 30-50 instead of 5-10 that you like.

Lets use hackle color as a further example. The hackle of the male should be solid black with a mahogany edge. The female should be laced. If you have solid hackles in the females, they will throw solid hackled males. Unfortunately, they will not throw as nicely laced of females as you would like. If you have a male with some off color in the hackles, that could translate to better hackles in the females, but he is not as show quality as you would like.

From this comes the idea of "double mating." That is where you use a male that is excellent with females that compliment his color but themselves do not have excellent female color. You use females with excellent color with a male that compliments them but actually looks like the male in the pic.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_UPEM9Ey-1B0/TbS4DjHgRYI/AAAAAAAAAK4/cg7oTIagFP8/s640/IMG_1645.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_UPEM9Ey-1B0/TbS2XUgMmZI/AAAAAAAAAI0/25rHBVBSfQk/s640/IMG_1613.JPG

With a little bigger pic, you can see the lacing all over him better. Look at the male in bottom pic. His breast is black and his wings are solid colored. Alternatively, the Pullet breeding male is laced in the breast, wings and even the saddle.

How was that? Edumacated? BTW, if you would like some personal experience, something could be arranged...[​IMG]

Nice post Rudy....what is the exact address that your birds are at? and when are you not there..nice Partridge.

I agree with your thinking on the breeding of Partridge and Silver Penciled...for my SP bantam breeding pens I set up two pens...one male with great solid black breast on two hens with smutty lacing..this should produce nice males. The other pen I put a nice male with speckles all over his breast on my best laced hens...should produce nice laced females. You could also just put a nice colored male with 2 hens that have indistinct lacing and 2 hens with great lacing...put it would be difficult to know which hens produced which chicks..

My sons Partridge Bantams drive me crazy...he uses perfect colored males with great laced hens and gets both good hens and males...but his Partridge come from a breeder that has been breeding them for 30 years...obviously he has perfected a single mated line of Partridge...

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  5. WyandotteTX

WyandotteTX Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    Very good posts Rudy and Jerry about the Partridge/SP double mating system. Jerry your pens would be correct to produce nice looking birds. I only ever had one line that I could single mate. One of my original pairs I got from James Harris would produce nice males and very nice females. My other line was a female line and would produce great females with males with the speckling that Jerry speaks of. I also agree with you about the Partridge Jerry, they have been bred to the point where they can be single mated to produce good birds. Although one of the best Partridge bantam breeders I know still double mates all of his.
    Like the birds Rudy!

6. colby318

colby318 got 'dottes?

Jul 14, 2008
    Stamping Ground, KY
    Excellent lesson...Thank you!

7. goldhillgirl

goldhillgirl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    Hi everyone! I am new to chickens and I am in love with wyandottes! [​IMG] I found this thread and I have been reading all the way through. I have 6, 3 week olds (2 BLR & 4 SLW) and also a 9 month old BLR trio. I have a question about my trio. I just got them on Monday and was told that both had been laying but 1 was broody. I'm not sure which was which though and the broody got broke during the move. They have not layed for me yet, which I expected, but I think the roo is only getin' with one of the girls and she has started to lose some feathers on her back. Is it possible that the other hen was the broody and that is why he isn't going after her? I am also looking to find him some more ladies, I may have found a couple but they are SL. The chicken calculator says I would get BLR pullets from that cross. Has anyone tried it and got good results?

My one question turned into a few. lol

8. neopolitancrazy

neopolitancrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Bastrop, TX
    Good morning, Wyandotte lovers![​IMG]

I am new to BYC, and haven't decided yet on my favorite breed or variety, but Wyandottes are in the lead. This year my DH and I are trying Silver Laced and Silver Penciled Wyandottes, Silver Spangled Hamburgs and Easter Eggers. All are hatchery chicks as we've not yet decided on a breed and our livestock guardian puppy is not yet trustworthy around poultry. When we pick a variety, I want to upgrade to breeder quality birds and improve my flock with the method detailed on ALBC's website.

I have read the Wyandotte thread and really enjoyed it. Not only have I seen adorable chicks and drop-dead gorgeous hens and roosters, but I learned a lot from the posts on heart-shaped silhouettes, "open teepee" tails and double-mating. Thank you all for your posts and your images of beautiful birds.

9. rtroxel

rtroxel Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2010
    Northwest Indiana
    Quote:Males often tend to mate more with one or two hens and prefer them to the others. One thing you can do is, like you said, get more hens to take the stress off the one that he likes more. You could also give more space so she can escape.

10. goldhillgirl

goldhillgirl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    Quote:Males often tend to mate more with one or two hens and prefer them to the others. One thing you can do is, like you said, get more hens to take the stress off the one that he likes more. You could also give more space so she can escape.

Thanks, I am on the lookout for some more girls and I am even going to my very first poultry auction tomorrow night. [​IMG]
    AND.... I got my first egg today!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by