The Wyandotte Thread

Hi all. I was told to post my question here, for all the Wyandotte lovers. Is this a Blue Wyandotte? I assumed it was a roo, but am getting conflicting opinions on that. If the pic doesn't show it well he is extremely red in the comb and wattles.

He was given to me by someone that can not keep roos and knows hardly anything about chickens. He said this bird was 10 wks old, but looked closer to 5 wks to me. But I guess another question could be, is he a Standard or a Bantam? I was basing the age on his size but also on his feathering.

2499_dscn08361.jpg

Thanks!

I was wondering if any of you could help with a question I have.

Since BLRW is so unpredictable in color...would breeding in a lavender gene cause the blue to then breed true, once bred to another blrw carrying the lavender gene? Would it affect lacing, if one mixed in a Lavender (say Orpington because I have yet to see a Lavender Wyandotte available for purchase) into the BLRW? I know the Orps have a single comb, but rosecomb is dominant so breeding back to a blrw would breed the single comb away, right? It would be a project, none the less, but wondering if it's even possible to continue to have the lacing that BLRW are so wonderfully known for, but change out the blue that doesn't breed true--and change it to the self-blue that does breed true.

Quote:
The lavender input sounds like one for rtroxel. BLR are predictable in color. They have the andalusian blue gene. Were you talking about the depth of the blue color? The deeper the blue, the better.

Last edited:
By unpredictable in color, I mean, you get either B/B/S...which is always the case with the andalusian blue gene because it's a incomplete dominant gene. Even then, if you have blue it can vary greatly. Hence one of the biggest hurdles in getting the breed to be accepted by the APA. Whereas Lavender (lav/lav) *not split lav* bred to another lav (lav/lav) will produce lav chicks. This is the consistency I was referencing.
I know there are violet laced, but that's a violet laced over white where as the blue laced contains the blue lace over a mahogany.

Quote:
Looks like a blue Wyandotte to me
big_smile.png
As far as I know, blue Wyandottes do not come in the Bantam size.

You can have blue bantams. They exist
smile.png
And that is a Blue Wyandotte.

Quote:
I usually don't this, but after looking at that variety, I have to say I don't like it! I do kind of wonder if it would look better over gold and mahogany. Seems like an easy cross to make if you could find some violet laced and cross them with Golden Laced...

Back
Top Bottom