The Wyandotte Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by roocrazy, Dec 27, 2009.

1. BlakesWife

BlakesWife Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2009
    Iberia Parish, Louisiana
    Valid points-Turbo!
    Thanks goes to those who have attempted to unconfuse me with chicken genetics. [​IMG]

2. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    hahahaha

I always thought it was pronounced the way it is spelled as it has 2 words in it. Wyan & dot. [​IMG]
    Wyan met dot and became Wyandotte....sort of like Bradgelina, Brad Pitt & Angelina Jolie. [​IMG]

3. Stumpfarmer

Stumpfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Hi. I posted a humorous shot of these guys over at the online poultry show, so I thought I'd introduce my 5 1/2 month old BLRW pair more formally. Unfortunately my rooster, Ian, was having none of that formality stuff. I seem to have gotten the class clown:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Anyway, Sylvia, looking proper and dignified

[​IMG]

And a couple of shots to give an idea of Ian's size and color; I think he's got nicely saturated colors for a splash roo:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got them from Rainwolf when they didn't fit in with her flock; I've loved Wyandottes my whole life, and here they are!

Last edited: May 4, 2011
  4. urbancountrygal

urbancountrygal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Clovis
    Quote:Very nice!!!!! I am in love with this breed!!! I think I have 2 pullet 1 SLW and 1 GLW. Fingers crossed:)

5. syble

syble Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    michigan
    Quote:no thoughts on my 3?

6. JP101010

JP101010 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

one of our 2 SLW - First time having this breed and 4 months in i'm thinking "what the hell did i do?!? [​IMG]"> we have mostly silkies and only one "real" chicken [​IMG] - RIR until this new batch of foster chicks for broody Miesha.

My SLW young ladies are pushy , bratty , rude chickens.... but hey we love em anyway [​IMG]

7. marquisella

marquisella Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Quote:Yes, when we say blue, we mean blue laced red, just don't say all the words.
    Splash is a lighter shade of the variety, but still blue laced red.
    I'd be surprized if you have a "black laced" bird. It will probably turn out to be a dark blue laced red.

Boy do I feel dumb [​IMG] Sorry!! I am just getting started with chickens and totally clueless [​IMG]

Thanks SO much for the help and clarification. [​IMG]

You'll be talking like a pro sooner than you think!
    We all had to start at the beginning, you'll be speaking like the rest of us soon![​IMG]

8. ItsAZOO32

ItsAZOO32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    Titusville, Fl.
    Quote:Boy do I feel dumb [​IMG] Sorry!! I am just getting started with chickens and totally clueless [​IMG]

Thanks SO much for the help and clarification. [​IMG]

You'll be talking like a pro sooner than you think!
    We all had to start at the beginning, you'll be speaking like the rest of us soon![​IMG]

I really appreciate the support. I am just a back yard flock owner but would love to have a farm and breed/show some day. I guess everyone has to start some where. I don't know HOW I am going to decide who to keep from these 5 puff balls. Suggestions for best quality/preferred look perhaps?

9. ItsAZOO32

ItsAZOO32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    Titusville, Fl.
    Quote:no thoughts on my 3?

I wish I had any clue [​IMG] Sorry!

10. Soaring Chicks

Soaring Chicks Soaring Hawks Farm

Jan 3, 2010
    Henderson,NC
    If you want to breed
    Blk laced red rooster bred to splash gives 100% blrw.
    Oops got to go back to work will finish later. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by