The Wyandotte Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by roocrazy, Dec 27, 2009.

1. NickyPick

NickyPick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    My chicks are at 10 weeks and finally starting to really look like chickens. A couple of weeks ago, when I posted pictures, I got a lot of "Granite is a roo" comments. Well, at the time, he/she had a wider comb than Opal (the other SLW) and was also larger with very thick legs. Now, I'm starting to wonder. Granite doesn't act like the other two cockerals and is looking more and more like Opal. What do y'all think?

Granite:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is Opal. She is still the smallest of the lot.
    [​IMG]

And these are my two GLW's:

Amber - always the FIRST to check out a new treat and prefers to eat them from my lap
    [​IMG]

And Ruby
    [​IMG]

2. rtroxel

rtroxel Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2010
    Northwest Indiana
    Granite is a pullet. No doubt. By that size, she would have hackle feather with points. Them ain't got no points.

3. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    Quote:[​IMG]

4. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    got a question, tsc made me a deal 6 wyandotte chicks for a dollar.. what im supposed to say NO? they are all black and silver week old's. what color should I expect them to be?

Now I've got my mom hooked hahahahha.. well me and Nadine she has Wyandotte's so we knew what they would look like jsut not what colors to expect.

blessed be )O(
    Pink

5. NickyPick

NickyPick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    If your TSC got them from Ideal, then they should look like my Granite and Opal in the pics above.

6. Kenshan1

Kenshan1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    Bonney Lake, WA
    Quote:I loved my SLW color but they turned nasty or so I thought. They would peck our hands as soon as we tried to pet them. Once they started laying though most of that stopped. They will peck our hands if they are in the nest boxes but out in the yard they are nice if we pet them.

Shannon

7. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    Quote:thanks for answering. they are beautiful so I think we will be happy.
    )O(
    Pink

8. DaughterOfEve

DaughterOfEve Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Montague, MI
    Hello Wyandotte thread people. I am usually a Michigan thread person but recently got hatchery SL wyandottes (yeah I know) and they all have brown, tan, white, black heads and black and white bodies, wings and tails. From their heads I would guess they are really mutts. Any input?

9. colby318

colby318 got 'dottes?

Jul 14, 2008
    Stamping Ground, KY
    A couple of quick questions regarding my black wyandotte chicks (8 weeks old):
    Will black on the comb fade with age or is it permanent? The coloring starts at the base of the beak and travels to the front of the comb. Is this the dreaded "gypsy face"? Does it throw genetically or is it random freckling? I'm new to this color variety and learning as I go. Do other black breeds such as austalorps have these issues to your knowledge?
    Colby in Kentucky

10. HallFamilyFarm

HallFamilyFarm APA ETL#195

Jan 25, 2010
    Monticello, Arkansas
    Quote:Sometimes we get [​IMG] what we pay for and sometimes we get [​IMG] what we pay for!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by