The Wyandotte Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by roocrazy, Dec 27, 2009.

1. rtroxel

rtroxel Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2010
    Northwest Indiana
    Quote:Well, your birds are gone, but at least you found out what did it and he won't do it again. I had an owl kill 2-3 birds a night for a week a couple years ago. Killed 2 turkeys, several ducks, full-grown roosters, etc. It took quite a while to figure out what was doing it....Sorry for your loss!

2. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    Quote:wow sooo sorry. I know how sad you are.. some people cant understand when someones pets die. my husband is one of them "it was just a dog" he'd say.. "no it wasn't just a dog. he was a special member of the family"..

we love our animals even though we know intellectually that they will die and sooner than later but our hearts and souls are not set up to take the logic of animal life spans and we accept these little beings into ourselves.. we give each animal a bit of ourselves and so maybe just maybe. that's part of what makes our souls shine a little bit brighter everyday....
    blessed be )O(
    Pink

3. perrym1962

perrym1962 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    Eastview, Ky..
    Some of my BLRW babies about 8 weeks..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  4. WyandotteTX

WyandotteTX Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    No they dont. There have been BB Red and Blue Red, Birchen and Brown Red in the past but I think they have all gone by the wayside for lack of interest........
    John

Quote:

5. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    Thanks everybody. It couldn't get out once it got in and some bodies were ice cold, others were still warm so basically it was like it was stuck inside a restaurant so it decided to snack all night long. It was a beautiful owl and I'm saddened, actually, that my dog killed it, but she was doing her job. She took down a coyote about 6-8 weeks ago with just 3-4 shakes. Broke its neck.

I just sold 30 of their babies this weekend, too. Thankfully, I have 5 eggs from yesterday and my husband found 1 egg in the nestbox to help rebuild my flock.

Here's a pic of the owl. You can see, the dog didn't maul it, she just shook it and probably broke its neck. Beautiful creature. So beautiful, so deadly.
    [​IMG]

6. ItsAZOO32

ItsAZOO32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    Titusville, Fl.
    Quote:wow.. that is a beautiful bird.. I am so sorry it took the lives of so many of your babies [​IMG]

7. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    Quote:Wow how very sad for your babies. That's a good dog you've got there!

8. AyeUpChuck

AyeUpChuck Striving for Self-Sufficiency

Mar 7, 2011
    Beavercreek, OR
    Quote:So sorry for your loss. I lost a 1/3 of my flock a few weeks ago and I'm still not over it. I really hope that you're able to hatch out those eggs! [​IMG]

9. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    Quote:[​IMG] Sorry for your loss.
    I'm glad you have a few eggs, I hope they hatch out for you [​IMG]
    What tallons that owl has-glad your dog wasn't injured.

10. turbo

turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2007
    Eastview, Ky
    Quote:They should all end up with no black on their combs when they get older...you may get one or two that have the dreaded gypsy face..LOL. I dont use hens or pullets that have black on their combs so you should be ok...also any black on the shanks should get much better as they get older..but you will have some black on the shanks even in the adults.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by