The Wyandotte Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by roocrazy, Dec 27, 2009.

1. urbancountrygal

urbancountrygal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Clovis
    Question to all the silver laced owners....do they have to have yellow legs? I have a 3 wk old pullet that doesn't quite have yellow legs but from the pics I posted of her all seem to think she is a SLW. Any thoughts?

2. wayne86

wayne86 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2011
    Mrs. Turbo :

Quote:I should take a picture of all the chicks running around here. Our feed bill was $730 last month.....I wish feed would go back down.

Geez! I hope you are selling an awful lot of chicks to help pay for all of that!​

3. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    Quote:I should take a picture of all the chicks running around here. Our feed bill was $730 last month.....I wish feed would go back down.

Geez! I hope you are selling an awful lot of chicks to help pay for all of that!

I choked when I got the feed bill!!! Trust me. Last year we had more chicks/breeders and the bill was about $150 less for the month of April. Feed has gone up $3 per bag around here. Chick sales covers the feed bill so far because we are at our peak, but that is it. I guess the shows, winter feed, and extra bird supplies have to come out of the paycheck.. [​IMG]

4. ruffledfeathers1234

ruffledfeathers1234 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Athens, GA
    Here are my BLRW's. This isn't the best pic in the world but I will try to get a better one later.
    [​IMG]

5. encorepistol

encorepistol Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    MO
    I won the auction! !!!! [​IMG].. More Foley chicks on the way. I cant wait to grow them out and put with their elder BLRW siblings.

6. colby318

colby318 got 'dottes?

Jul 14, 2008
    Stamping Ground, KY
    Mrs. Turbo :

Quote:Geez! I hope you are selling an awful lot of chicks to help pay for all of that!

I choked when I got the feed bill!!! Trust me. Last year we had more chicks/breeders and the bill was about $150 less for the month of April. Feed has gone up $3 per bag around here. Chick sales covers the feed bill so far because we are at our peak, but that is it. I guess the shows, winter feed, and extra bird supplies have to come out of the paycheck.. [​IMG]

I raised my egg prices to $3 dozen and people aren't complaining about that. I bought 50 hybrid layer chicks from TSC for next season's egg production. I won't be using my wyandotte culls anymore for eggs. I love the breed but some of the eggs aren't large enough and being a dual purpose breed aren't earning their pay as layers. [​IMG] At least the egg sales allow me to buy more wyandotte chicks!

7. encorepistol

Mar 25, 2009
    MO
    Around here it seems everyone throws a fit if you ask 3.00 a dozen. They would rather have home raised eggs but heaven forbid they pay extra for them. I give any eggs I dont incubate to friends or familly and said heck with selling them. My feed bill is minimal compared to most since I try to free range as much as possible when Im not breeding and I try not to keep too many adult birds that dont meet the cut. I raise a bunch every year but sell the majority but even others that raise chickens want to try and lowball you when they know how much feed is. I refuse to be lowballed and will take birds back home before I sell quality state tested birds especially the BLRW chickens I do sell. When I pay what I do for quality and people want me to give them away it kind of gets on my nerves. Sorry for the rant [​IMG]

8. colby318

colby318 got 'dottes?

Jul 14, 2008
    Stamping Ground, KY
    Quote:I agree with you totally! Luckily, I work at an auto manufacturing plant in Georgetown, KY. I've been selling my excess laying hens to other coworkers who have land (which is about everyone). Eggland's best free range eggs are $3.84 a dozen at the Walmart so they know I'm selling for less than what they would pay at the store. Sometimes they gripe about the egg size, though. Hence, the hybrids. I've turned away people for eggs since I can't meet the demand. I sell around 15 dozen a week and have regular customers.

Thank goodness everything is turning green here. I free range also and in the winter buy alfalfa/timothy pellets for the layers to keep the egg yolks orange. Springtime saves me that much more money on supplemental feed.

Last summer I even pimped out my welsummer rooster to several different people before he stayed with the last person. I had a "rent a rooster" gig going. Everyone wanted olive eggers. [​IMG]

9. encorepistol

Mar 25, 2009
    MO
    That must be the Toyota plant. We were there for a tour several months back with a lean program class with the university.

10. rtroxel

rtroxel Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2010
    Northwest Indiana
    Mrs. Turbo :

I just finally passed the big 100 this weekend. I think I'm about 110 right now of all my breeds. Mostly Dorkings, tho (about 80). Lots more to go... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by