The Wyandotte Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by roocrazy, Dec 27, 2009.

1. turbo

turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2007
    Eastview, Ky
    Quote:I choked when I got the feed bill!!! Trust me. Last year we had more chicks/breeders and the bill was about $150 less for the month of April. Feed has gone up $3 per bag around here. Chick sales covers the feed bill so far because we are at our peak, but that is it. I guess the shows, winter feed, and extra bird supplies have to come out of the paycheck.. [​IMG]

I think I am supposed to pick up some birds from you guys next weekend for Rudy. Are you going to lucasville too?

We will be at Kentuckiana...but I wont make it to the Lucasville spring show, spring shows mess up my breeding pens, so I try to limit them to just a few. Are you bringing me any old white hens? or a few chicks?

2. Batty about Banties

Batty about Banties Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011
    Gorge
    [​IMG] Blanch 3 weeks......GLW is what I was told.

[​IMG] Dorothy

[​IMG] Rose

3. urbancountrygal

urbancountrygal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Clovis
    Quote:Nice looking chicks. I have 9 that are 4 wks. 2 I purchase from a feed store and they didn't know what she was. She look just like your chicks. I am hoping she's a SLW as they are beautiful birds:)

4. Batty about Banties

Batty about Banties Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011
    Gorge
    Quote:Nice looking chicks. I have 9 that are 4 wks. 2 I purchase from a feed store and they didn't know what she was. She look just like your chicks. I am hoping she's a SLW as they are beautiful birds:)

Do any of yours have noticable signs of roo? I think I may have gotten 3 pullets!! [​IMG]

5. urbancountrygal

urbancountrygal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Clovis

Do any of yours have noticable signs of roo? I think I may have gotten 3 pullets!! [​IMG]

My SLW def looks like a pullet. Out of them all (4 RIR, 2 Ameraucanas, 1 white leghorn, 1 SlW,and 1 unknown) I feel 1 Ameraucana might be a roo. My 2 Ameraucanas are a wk older than the rest but her/his comb is more raised than the others and has more color to it. Plus this one is more alert and seems to be the one to warn the rest of the chicks when there is noise and is more dominant. Who knows...we will see. If that is my only roo out of 9 I'll be a happy camper!!! Where did you get yours from?

6. ItsAZOO32

ItsAZOO32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    Titusville, Fl.
    Two weeks old now.. Here are my 5 Wyandottes again.. The three blues/splashes are together and then the other two.. whatever they are [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When might I start seeing signs of gender and what should I look for first?

Thanks everyone!

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  7. colby318

colby318 got 'dottes?

Jul 14, 2008
    Stamping Ground, KY
    Mrs. Turbo,
    When I come over next weekend, do you want me to leave the silver pencil and columbians at home?
    Colby

8. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    Quote:I would sat about 4 weeks is when I can start spotting some roos. But I don't make a final decision untill 8 weeks. Cute pics!

9. wayne86

wayne86 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2011
    Quote:I think I am supposed to pick up some birds from you guys next weekend for Rudy. Are you going to lucasville too?

We will be at Kentuckiana...but I wont make it to the Lucasville spring show, spring shows mess up my breeding pens, so I try to limit them to just a few. Are you bringing me any old white hens? or a few chicks?

I am actually hatching some next Sunday. I have 15 chicks that will be about 4 weeks old I could bring you.

10. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    oh really.....turbo just said no way on the large fowl silver pencilled. He said we have too many varieties. Thanks for the information Johnathan. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by