The Wyandotte Thread

Wyandottes lay a bit smaller of an egg than rocks or RIR... But, they are a wonderful meat bird compared to some of the other dual purpose breeds. Even Privett hatchery describes them as thus "...a good producer of brown eggs that are slightly smaller than those produced by some of the more popular breeds." Look at the body of a RIR hen. She's longer and a bit leaner. She's a dual purpose made for more egg production than the deep, wide bodied wyandotte hen. After first molt, my wyandottes lay a large egg. I like how they continue laying after their third year opposed to my production reds which burn out quickly.

Quote:
How funny!
lol.png
I was just discussing this with a friend of mine. Our girls from 3 different breeder lines all lay a small egg. It is a big disappointment. I wonder why this is and how to improve egg size?
idunno.gif
I have a Paul line hen that is small, but my Foley, and Blue Poultry girls are a nice size and are throwing babies with good size paired up with my Greg Catt line rooster.
big_smile.png

Are they pullets or full grown hens 18 months old? Pullets can lay a pretty small eggs, but normally wyandottes dont lay a real big egg...I have been working on egg size on my BLRW for several years now..

Jerry

The Paul hen is over 18 months old, but the 2 hens from you and 1 from Blue Poultry are under 18 months old. I also have a Bill Braden hen that is a over a year old and she lays the smallest egg of all
hmm.png

I looking for good show quality Wyandottes, either Silver Laced, Golden Laced, or Blue Laced Red. So if there is a breeder out there who lives in the Portland area and has day old chicks available or in the next week or two, let me know. That would be great. Thanks!

Beautiful Wyandottes everyone! I love wyandottes they are beautiful, docile, and are great layers! Here are some pictures from today of my Blue Laced Red Wyandottes,

This is Speckie my 14 week old pullet.
94270_dsc_0178.jpg

My 14 week old pullet, Minnie
94270_dsc_0198.jpg

Here is Cutie who is also 14 weeks old
94270_dsc_0196.jpg

And here's my flock of BLRW
94270_dsc_0291.jpg

And one of my Golden Laced Wyandotte Hens
94270_morganpow.jpg

I really love this breed!

-Little Creek Farm

Thought I'd share some new pictures of our Foley Blues. I think I like the Blues the best so far and I'm really enjoying them on the farm.

100845_dsc06614.jpg

100845_dsc06599.jpg

100845_dsc06611.jpg

100845_dsc06625.jpg

Back
Top Bottom