The Wyandotte Thread

Quote:
Aww, thanks so much for the photography compliment! I have to admit I had fun playing with my SLR with them yesterday. I still need to photograph chick #6, which I think does resemble a GLW chick. Maybe I'm a little too trusting, but my gut feeling is that it was a mixup, along the lines of what Aina suggested. I was hoping to get some opinons on this from you experts because I don't want to have a big confrontation if I'm just flat out wrong.

I figure if I can be patient, and when they feather in a little, maybe post a what breed/gender post and then direct the seller to that board? Argh, I hate confrontation.

I will post a picture of chick #6 here in a bit, once I go take it.

When I went to take pictures of 6, I accidentally grabbed 5 again. But, I think that's ok because it's shot wasn't as clear on the legs. And what legs they are, don't they look rooish?

So, chick 5 again:
chick05a.jpg

And chick 6: (who also seems to be sporting some very thick legs, doesn't he?)
chick06.jpg

Quote:
Way cute! Both look GLW to me. You could try feather sexing at 24 hours old. I'd guess chick 5 is a boy and 6 is a girl. Because I see little wing feathers on 6. Just a fun guess
wink.png

I love guesses on gender, especially if they involve pullets. LOL

And what's crazy is chick #6 is the very last to hatch, she's barely 24-25 hours old at this point. But you're right, it seems to be growing in feathers on the wings awfully fast.

Chick #1, the bright yellow one, has some darker pins coming in on her wings. I'm thinking it's a girl.

IMG_5822.jpg

I love guesses on gender, especially if they involve pullets. LOL

And what's crazy is chick #6 is the very last to hatch, she's barely 24-25 hours old at this point. But you're right, it seems to be growing in feathers on the wings awfully fast.

Chick #1, the bright yellow one, has some darker pins coming in on her wings. I'm thinking it's a girl.

IMG_5822.jpg

I hope so. We've tried to feather sex-doesn't always come out they way we thought it would.

When I went to take pictures of 6, I accidentally grabbed 5 again. But, I think that's ok because it's shot wasn't as clear on the legs. And what legs they are, don't they look rooish?

So, chick 5 again:
chick05a.jpg

And chick 6: (who also seems to be sporting some very thick legs, doesn't he?)
chick06.jpg

By the shape of the heads, I would say that chick # 5 is a rooster and chick # 6 is a pullet. Feather sexing for me hasn't been reliable, but boy can I spot that long, sloped rooster head!
lol.png

Here's a picture of that yellow chick's wings at 6 days old. It seems to be lacing quite beautifully, especially given how young she is, but I have never seen anything like this (admittedly, I am a newbie to chickens).

The breeder I bought the eggs from says they have the following kinds of chickens: Buff Orpingtons, Barred Rocks, Rhode Island Reds, Polish, Black Australorps, Light Sussex, Buckeyes, Speckled Sussex, Silver Laced Wyandottes, Buff Brahmas, Golden Laced Wyandottes, and Easter Eggers x Ameraucanas, Cochins, Silver Sussex, and Dark Brahmas

Sphinx, I have two of those. I think these were two of my extra eggs, The breeder said maybe light sussex. I'll tak a pic of mine and post it here in a bit. They look very similar. Mine looked like they had muffs when they first dried out. They came from light brown eggs.

Hi all. I recently recd some Silver Laced Wyandotte chicks from a hatchery as straight run. Surprise, Surprise I have more than one rooster. Anybody in Virginia that would like to have a SLW rooster? He is free you just need to come get him. He is about 4 1/2 weeks old. I am in Charlottesville, VA. I would like see him go to a fellow BYC'er. let me know. I also have a GLW rooster as well, same age if anyone is interested.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom