The Wyandotte Thread

Quote: This is a great idea

I am lazy and just plant alfalfa, clover, annual rye, kale, turnips, mustard, red and white wheat, and grain grasses. I am going to try to grow a few plants I will have to cut and harvest next year to feed out during winter. I am not sure if I will cut them and harvest or not.
hmm.png

I might toss a few seeds in the garden and see how it goes this winter.
rofl I would have a wonderful garden, if my horses would stay where they're supposed to, but my blind girl just pushes thru any kind of fence in her way... so gardens get eaten before they can grow.

the only thing growing that the horses won't eat are my cherry tomatoes (orange and red varieties). but the chickens snag those as they ripen... but I planted them for the chickens anyways, so I shouldn't really mind, right?

Does anyone know if raw tea leaves are okay for chickens to eat? I have been reading about RR and Rr males (concerning rose combs) and they said how caffeine increased fertility in RR males from about 70-75% or lower to 80-85%. I know apples have natural caffeine in them but I was also looking into other things. Obviously coffee does but I'm not sure it is safe for chickes to eat coffee beans and I am definitely not going to make them a cup each morning! Lol. Any info would be much appreciated!

My partner brings home coffee grinds from the machines at work. He was told if you sprinkle them around the soil at the base of the plants it makes them grow better. I put them on my potatoes, fruit trees, strawberries, tomatoes etc.
The chickens scratch around in the soil and have dirt baths. They peck at the coffee grinds and are happy and healthy. No side effects, apart from zipping around the place and having major headaches and caffeine cravings first thing in the morning (lol).

I know what corn fed chickens taste like. I wonder what coffee fed chickens would be like?

Last edited:
HELP I am going to an auction tomorrow and I need to know which roo to keep in my silver penciled bantams. they are 5 months old maybe. I have one that has good color in his hacked and some saddle color but not much in the wings. I have another that has good color in the wings and saddle but not much in the hackles he also have some silver on his breast. I feel sure that will go away.

I inclination is to go the the one with better.hackels color.....right wrong???????? I know they are young. he will be a back up. I am keeping my breeder roo and the best hen. I have several more pullets growing out. I am still new to this color so not sure on the best way to go.

he looks like a cuckoo i do see any barred nice roo
barred and cuckoo are the same thing. both have the barring gene. the only difference is that the barring gene tends to be slower feathering than the cuckoo, giving it a more distinct line between black and white.

Back
Top Bottom