The Wyandotte Thread

Reason to make bantams instead of standards is that some of us like the size of bantams but want the form/color of standard. The reason you would make a standard that may look like a bantam is because someone wants the form/color of bantam but the usefullness of standard.

Thank you for your comments. My intention was not to offend but to question. Certainly perceptions are responsible for thoughts and there is nothing wrong with questions. Please accept my appology as needed.

I'm a brand new chicken mommie w/ 6, 4 week old RIR's. I LOVE the Silver-Laced Wyandottes & want to add to my flock. My only rooster will be my RIR. Has anybody every tried mixing these two?

I'm hoping to be able to get bantam Wyandottes (and Ameraucanas and Orpingtons!) The reasons I want bantams are-
A. Being smaller, they'll eat less and the poops will be smaller.
B. Being smaller also means that I will be able to house more of them!
C. There are only the two of us, so having to use three eggs to equal two isn't really a problem.
D. Tiny hard boiled eggs might be fun to eat.
E. I want to employ my chickens as part-time garden helpers. I've heard that bantams are less destructive about tearing up the roots at the bases of plants.

smile.png

Quote:
I like ABC but E sounds the best because I am a gardener and I usually need to wait until the plants are very large before I trust my hens to have fun in the garden. I have heard stories about the chickens doing a good job churing compost piles, eating bugs and several other jobs.

Enjoy your flock of bantams and report back on helpfulness.

Quote:
RIR X silver laced wyandotte is the original cross for the blue laced red wyandottes.

I was wondering about the origin of the BLRW. Hoppy you are so informative ! I always enjoy your posts.

Back
Top Bottom