The Wyandotte Thread

Quote:
Those are my baby mommies.
love.gif

edited for seriousness...
Looking forward to picking up chicks in a few weeks. Would you toe punch for me?

What do you mean toe punch?

It's a tiny hole punch you use between a chick's toes to keep track of who is who when they're growing out. I'm receiving chicks from Jesse Paul also. I don't have enough growing out pens to keep them all separated this summer.

Quote:
What do you mean toe punch?

It's a tiny hole punch you use between a chick's toes to keep track of who is who when they're growing out. I'm receiving chicks from Jesse Paul also. I don't have enough growing out pens to keep them all separated this summer.

That makes sense now cause when i ordered mine from foleys some had a toe punch and i was like wth is that? lol It was the blues i had with the order.

Quote:
Awww what a pretty girl!

Thanks
big_smile.png
She is a really cool bird-that's why we want more! She loves to be held by the kids. Too bad she's in love with our SLW roo! We didn't want mixed colored birds, but for a first little brood, it should be ok(we'll get more eggs)...wonder if that would make lavendars?

your SLWx with BLR will give you sex linked babies. forgot, but I think all your females will be BLR and the males will be poorly marked sl. I may have this backwards.

Quote:

That makes sense now cause when i ordered mine from foleys some had a toe punch and i was like wth is that? lol It was the blues i had with the order.

We toe punch the chicks to keep the lines and breedings straight.....most people don't even notice.
smile.png

Quote:
We used bands back when we only had a couple varieties and one breeding pen of each variety, but we now hatch a ton of chicks a week and keep 2 pens of most varieties and sometimes trial pens of a variety to see what chicks they are producing and all the chicks go into the brooders together.....then we have our project pens and we don't want those chicks getting into a shipping box on accident.
The you have the Black wyandottes that are a different blood line than the blue wyandottes...blue wyandottes come in black too.....and the GLWs look like black laced BLRWs and the Partridge Wyandottes look like the BLRWs. We would have a mess to sort out if we didn't toe punch straight out of the brooder. I know some people think it is mean to do, but it is fast and they don't bleed or cry out when we do it and you don't have to worry about a band falling off.

Quote:
Thanks
big_smile.png
She is a really cool bird-that's why we want more! She loves to be held by the kids. Too bad she's in love with our SLW roo! We didn't want mixed colored birds, but for a first little brood, it should be ok(we'll get more eggs)...wonder if that would make lavendars?

your SLWx with BLR will give you sex linked babies. forgot, but I think all your females will be BLR and the males will be poorly marked sl. I may have this backwards.

Cool-that would be great! We need this first brood to be as easy as we can make it
wink.png

Mrs. Turbo :

Quote:
We used bands back when we only had a couple varieties and one breeding pen of each variety, but we now hatch a ton of chicks a week and keep 2 pens of most varieties and sometimes trial pens of a variety to see what chicks they are producing and all the chicks go into the brooders together.....then we have our project pens and we don't want those chicks getting into a shipping box on accident.
The you have the Black wyandottes that are a different blood line than the blue wyandottes...blue wyandottes come in black too.....and the GLWs look like black laced BLRWs and the Partridge Wyandottes look like the BLRWs. We would have a mess to sort out if we didn't toe punch straight out of the brooder. I know some people think it is mean to do, but it is fast and they don't bleed or cry out when we do it and you don't have to worry about a band falling off.

I think it sounds like a good reliable system for marking. I'm thinking I will order a toe punch one of these days when I get into this a little more. I've had leg bands come off, and I've had legbands that got caught on something and cut into their leg (the metal ones.) A number of years ago I had one that I didn't get the small band changed to a larger band soon enough and it almost grew into his leg. It was so tight it was hard to get off and I did bloody his leg a bit removing it. Sometimes they grow faster than you think.

I don't think a toe punch would be any more cruel than most other methods of marking, and once it is done it's done. Can't be any worse than getting your ears pierced or a shot of penicillin.​

Hi Hoppy,

Here is Butters at 5 weeks taken 03/09/2011. Not sure if Butters is really a girl but still hoping. Butters is snow white like her daddy.

69377_03-09-2011_butters_closeup.jpg

Butters is the pretty snow white chickie in the middle of this picture.
69377_03-09-2011_chicks_3.jpg

Just wanted to let you know she is doing ok and enjoying her play time in the play pen with the other chickies. They love the wild strawberries that grow here.
She is actually bigger now then when these pics were taken. I need to get updated pics.

How is your project coming along? Would love to see pictures cus I just love pictures of chickies
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom