The Wyandotte Thread

thanks for the advice
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I can't agree with you more. I grew up around Wyandottes since before I could walk and learned a ton from my dad, so I'm not afraid of the hard work or the challenge of them. Between the birchen and silver penciled patterns, I sometimes have a hard time deciding which I like better. I have the birchen line of my dad's in the bantams, so I figure why not work on the silver penciled in Large Fowl as well since I've daydreamed about them since i was a kid. Thanks for the feedback on the leg color. I don't mind that they are not perfectly yellow...what bothers me is that the last ones I saw that someone advertised last year had willow legs.
th.gif
Hopefully I will be able to place my order nice and early next spring if the weather behaves so they have plenty of time to grow out. I plan on getting some blacks, silver pencileds, partridge and columbians. I have three partridge girls, but lost my boy to a predator, and need some girls to go with my columbian boy...and would like some blacks to go with my blues and splashes..

Quote:
This happens fairly regularly, I think. And birds do/can change colors a little each time they molt. I would like to see pics to get an idea of just how well-laced your birds are to begin with and what type of parent flock they came from. Sometimes a bird like that would be called a male breeder because, if what is describe is what I'm picturing, she will produce better colored male offspring than female offspring.

Hi Turbo's, just letting you know I am still alive.....haha.
Hope all is well in the land of wyandottes...

Buff Wyandotte LF for me, looks as though I am going to have about 3 really nice cockerels and about 12 pullets to breed from this year. I do not have any for sale at the moment and will most likely not sell any hatching eggs this spring either. I know somebody sent me a message asking about it but completely forgot to reply, sorry about that.....

I honestly don't know where the breeders original stock came from. She is Russian and very hard to understand. Houston area. I have a few pictures of her birds and I will get picks of mine on Friday when I'm home in the daylight. My birds are about 5 months old now. I hope these pics come through. These are two of the parent birds.
103981_3nf3p83l05y45t25s2b8s9a67b87c8bc5100f.jpg

103981_3n73of3p25o45y45x1b8s66fca17044751f89.jpg
103981_5y35z15u33n73m03p2bab2f789288c6371268.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Well, those aren't exactly show quality but their lacing is fine. I have seen birds molt while on eggs and come back very different colored. This happens because the hormones are off a little and causes weird stuff to happen with the penciling on the partridge. It doesn't happen often because they don't go broody when they are molting often or molt when they are broody. I'm thinking that the most likely thing is that is just mossy-ness ( a defect), but it is hard to tell without a pic. Maybe a cell phone pic would work if you could email it to yourself and then post it?

Back
Top Bottom