The Wyandotte Thread

Quote:
We saw them! Looks like they did well
smile.png

I just wanted to share a picture of my GLW cockerel. He is 6 1/2 months old here. I almost sent him to freezer camp a while back becasue his lacing was not good and he was much smaller than his brother. Glad I didn't. His brother was killed by a dog and I think Goldie is shaping up pretty good. I know he's not SQ, but he's keeps getting better so I hope he'll turn out nice. Sarah
103981_381578_2373239420641_1540216674_31714387_92707690_n.jpg

I've been reading quietly along for a while. I love wyandottes; I think they are so beautiful. I've enjoyed seeing pictures of yours.

Yesterday and today I hatched 6 GLW chicks that were shipped over 2000 miles to get to me. The 6th chick hasn't gotten photographed yet because it's just barely fluffing out. But, I thought I'd share the other 6 chicks with you all. I realize they're way too young to guess gender yet, but if anyone has a prediction, I'd be thrilled.

Chick #1: Godzilla. Godzilla never bothered pipping into the air cell- went directly out through the small end of the egg. The air cell in the egg was still intact!
godzilla.jpg

Chick #2: HULKSMASH. Hulksmash didn't pip as much as it should've, and kept trying to smash its' way out. After 27 hours of this, I finally intervened by chipping away a couple tiny chunks of egg. It then popped out with monster truck force.
hulksmash.jpg

Chick #3: hatched at 2:30 am. Did everything the way it was supposed to.
chick03.jpg

Chick #4: hatched this morning. Pipped, but did nothing til about 8am, and then zipped and hatched within an hour or so.
chick04.jpg

Chick #5: was trying to race #4, but lost by about 5 minutes.
chick05.jpg

Quote:
I bought them in an auction that said it was GLW eggs. I actually sent the seller a PM with pics of the first two and asked if it was possible that not all of them were GLW, and she insisted they were, and that color variation like that is normal in the breed. Frankly, I'm not so sure, and therein lies my dilemma. If it turns out that only two of them are GLW, and at least one is a hen, I think I am ok with that because I want some EE in my flock. But, I think if it turns out that 2/3 of my hatch isn't the breed I actually paid for, that's kind of a negative mark on the seller. I'm not sure what, if anything, I should do. Part of me is thinking I should wait a bit and see how they feather in. Part of the reason I posted their pics here is to get you all's expert opinion, since this is my first time with GLW, and I have no idea what is proper. I don't want to stir up drama due to my inexperience, or even start a whisper of a negative reputation if it is my inexperience. Opinions are welcome and urged.

I agree, only chicks 2 and 5 seem to have down coloring that would indicate a laced bird. Perhaps she just separated her birds out into breeding pens and is unaware that hens can lay eggs fertilized by another male for up to 2-3 weeks? If that were the case, then she genuinely believed that she was selling you purebred GLW eggs. It'll be interesting to see how these chicks grow up, please post a follow-up when they feather out/mature?

I agree only two of the five look to be golden to me.
hmm.png
but like you said if you can get a roo and a hen it would be okay, but you should still get what you pay for. Many breeders will say just about anything to sale their stock to you. But an a lighter note, those are some of the best pics of chicks I think I have seen since I have been on here.
big_smile.png
Really professional looking. hope they grow well, keep us posted.
thumbsup.gif

God bless,
Tyler.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom