There absolutely has to be a better way...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BerrytangleFarm, Jan 29, 2011.

1. BerrytangleFarm

BerrytangleFarm British and Scandinavian Poultry

...to put water in a brooder! Something that doesn't soak the bedding through whatever these chicks DO to soak the bedding OVER AND OVER !! Certainly this flimsy mason-jar-type waterer isn't cutting it!

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Rabbit/rodent water bottles. Start with the 8 ounce ones so they can actually push the ball.

3. Luvroos

Luvroos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Fredericksburg
    Set the waterers on top of a brick or something, just high enough to allow them to still drink, maybe around 2- 3". This helped when mine were chicks. I flipped a ceramic bowl upside down and placed the water and food containers on top of them, they were able to reach it! You might raise it a little every so often unless you can hang it somehow with maybe a plant hanger with tassells removed. Water bottles work great also since they don't get bedding and poo in them, I still have them on several 32oz bottles at 9 months.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Nipple waterers work very well for brooders. The chicks learn how to use them much faster than do adult birds (who take all of ten or 15 minutes to learn how to use them). It's a perfect solution as the chicks CANNOT get into the water to foul it, nor can they spill it into the bedding.

Or, do the brick riser/platform thing. It cuts down on some of the mess, although the chicks can still kick shavings into the bowl when they do their scratching and dust bathing antics. And when they jump to the top of the waterer, they can still poop into the bowl.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Oh I'm sure baby chickies don't do that, they are so nice and clean . LOL Someone else must make the mess and let the chicks take all the blame.

6. Luvroos

Luvroos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Fredericksburg
    Thats right! I didn't think about the nipples! You could take a small bucket with top and place these things into the side and there you have it a self made waterer! No mess, no poo and it stays clean!

7. matimeo

matimeo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Oregon
    Nipples are the only way to go with chicks, imo.

8. gardeningsis

gardeningsis Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2008
    Illinois
    [​IMG]I also use a plant hanger - I just put my waterer in it and raise it as the kids get taller.

9. BerrytangleFarm

BerrytangleFarm British and Scandinavian Poultry

I wondered about the nipples or hamster bottles. I notice the ones we have outside in the coop tend to drip once or twice after being pecked (the chickens don't get ALL the drips). Do you have any trouble with the bedding getting wet under the nipples/bottles?

10. spartacus_63

spartacus_63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Central Iowa
    I use the 1 gallon founts with and additional based tuned upside down and placed under the base. Anything can be used to elevate the fount, but this works well for me and I have several that I'm nit using. Keeps the litter out and most of the water in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by