There absolutely has to be a better way...

BerrytangleFarm

British and Scandinavian Poultry
9 Years
Dec 11, 2010
Kitsap County, WA
My Coop
My Coop
...to put water in a brooder! Something that doesn't soak the bedding through whatever these chicks DO to soak the bedding OVER AND OVER !! Certainly this flimsy mason-jar-type waterer isn't cutting it!

Set the waterers on top of a brick or something, just high enough to allow them to still drink, maybe around 2- 3". This helped when mine were chicks. I flipped a ceramic bowl upside down and placed the water and food containers on top of them, they were able to reach it! You might raise it a little every so often unless you can hang it somehow with maybe a plant hanger with tassells removed. Water bottles work great also since they don't get bedding and poo in them, I still have them on several 32oz bottles at 9 months.

Last edited:
Nipple waterers work very well for brooders. The chicks learn how to use them much faster than do adult birds (who take all of ten or 15 minutes to learn how to use them). It's a perfect solution as the chicks CANNOT get into the water to foul it, nor can they spill it into the bedding.

Or, do the brick riser/platform thing. It cuts down on some of the mess, although the chicks can still kick shavings into the bowl when they do their scratching and dust bathing antics. And when they jump to the top of the waterer, they can still poop into the bowl.

Oh I'm sure baby chickies don't do that, they are so nice and clean . LOL Someone else must make the mess and let the chicks take all the blame.

Thats right! I didn't think about the nipples! You could take a small bucket with top and place these things into the side and there you have it a self made waterer! No mess, no poo and it stays clean!

smile.png
I also use a plant hanger - I just put my waterer in it and raise it as the kids get taller.

I wondered about the nipples or hamster bottles. I notice the ones we have outside in the coop tend to drip once or twice after being pecked (the chickens don't get ALL the drips). Do you have any trouble with the bedding getting wet under the nipples/bottles?

I use the 1 gallon founts with and additional based tuned upside down and placed under the base. Anything can be used to elevate the fount, but this works well for me and I have several that I'm nit using. Keeps the litter out and most of the water in.

Back
Top Bottom