1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

There go the tomatoes!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by saxonyduck, Oct 5, 2009.

1. saxonyduck

saxonyduck Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2008
    Mountain View
    My ducks have been clueless all summer long about how tasty tomatoes are......but my female duck just figured it out yesterday!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cherry tomatoes are just perfect for duck beaks I guess!

I'm really impressed with her taste though - she's only picking the most perfectly ripe ones. [​IMG]

2. journey11

journey11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    WV
    yeah, seems like my chickens always got the biggest, prettiest ones !

3. saxonyduck

Jul 4, 2008
    Mountain View
    It's hilarious because now she keeps checking the tomatoes every 10 minutes - I guess just in case something ripened while she wasn't looking. [​IMG]

And she taught the boys to hang out in the plants too. I guess social learning applies to ducks too!

4. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    She acts like my 16 month old grandson!

5. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Cute!

6. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    That is great... the picture that is.. hope you rescued some of your tomatoes... : )

7. priss

priss Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    Isle of Wight
    I looove these pictures, your duck is a sweetie. I've been trying to stuff my ducks for ages with tomatoes but they've just never figured out what to do with them! Maybe I'll move the entire plant over to them!
    Thank yooo for this, I WAS having a rotten day at work, now I'm smiling! Can't wait to get back home to my ducks!

8. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

That picture is hilarious. It reminds me of, "no, ma, i wasn't eating the cookies" while chewing a cookie.

9. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Love the pic! [​IMG]

10. saxonyduck

Jul 4, 2008
    Mountain View
    What's hilarious is that I think she didn't eat them until now because they actually taste better now then earlier in the season. Less mealy and more flavor. All the ducks completely ignored the tomatoes before and I thought they just weren't suited to the duck palate. But then my neighbor's kids gave the ducks some of their delicious cherry tomatoes - and they ate them all!

They do that with peaches/nectarines too. If I think the fruit is sub-par the ducks don't like it either. But if it's a dripping with sweetness peach they mob me - crowding into my lap and stealing the peach to eat it all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by