There has to be a thread for incubator recs...

chickfused

Songster
Aug 1, 2021
But if there is, I can't find it!

I'm working on creating a predator savvy line of semi-ferals. I'm going to have to hatch to keep up with predation rates for a few generations it seems. Which, whatever.

So, I have about $300 to put into an incubator, and it's probably going to hatch a dozen chicks 6 times a year. I'd like one that's as idiot (read: me) proof as possible and, perhaps most importantly, is easy to clean between hatches. (Obvs less $$ is better!)

a) could anyone point me to the thread I'm undoubtedly missing or b) if it really doesn't exist, give me some thoughts/reviews/suggestions?

Cheers!

I have a Farmers Innovators model 4250 and it can hold up to 40 eggs at a time. It also has automatic egg turners, you can set the temperature how you want it, and it shows the humidity level. It's really helpful.

Nurture Right 360 all the day. Its reliable, large, accurate temperature and humidity gauges, and I love the 360 dome factor. Makes it easy to see the chicks. TSC carry's them I believe, makes it even easier.
I'm so sorry about your roo. Thats so heartbreaking. You can store the eggs round end up for a while until you can get a bator.
Good luck with your hatch!

I have a Farmers Innovators model 4250 and it can hold up to 40 eggs at a time. It also has automatic egg turners, you can set the temperature how you want it, and it shows the humidity level. It's really helpful.
I didn't like that bator. I tried it as an emergency bator for a staggered hatch. The temp fluctuated quite a bit, and I'm pretty sure the gauges were way off. Just my personal experience with the brand.

1642475046333.png

Might as well buy a Brinsea Maxi II for $399 + $16 shipping from within NZ for that price lol

I'm so sorry about your roo. Thats so heartbreaking. You can store the eggs round end up for a while until you can get a bator.
Oh dear, they're on their side, like they would be lying in the nest waiting for a full clutch to form. It's got to be ok, mommas don't leave them round end up...

Any suggestions for an egg candler? I'll have some of those babies that have the suuuuper dark brown eggs.

Oh dear, they're on their side, like they would be lying in the nest waiting for a full clutch to form. It's got to be ok, mommas don't leave them round end up...

Any suggestions for an egg candler? I'll have some of those babies that have the suuuuper dark brown eggs.
That'll be alright as long as it wasn't for long. If your storing them for a longer period of time, you want them round end up so that the air cell stays in prime condition. :) I doubt being sideways for a little bit wouldn't harm them though.

I ordred a Magifly (not sure if I spelt that right) candler from Amazon. I wasn't sure it was worth 20$ at first, but I love it! It holds the eggs in the right position, and you don't have to worry about the light leaking out around the egg. I think a lot of people just use bright flashlights which can work just as well. I just found it easier to candle, its a little thing but does make a big difference. :)

Back
Top Bottom