There he was bold as brass

We usually bury the ones we trap but it got to be a pain so we just dump them out in the woods now.

Where we stay down in south florida I see coons all day long. They hang out at the dumpster looking for food. It's amazing how they can climb one to get inside. Plus they sit along side the feral cats at the park too. Had one the other night try to open the door to our RV to get inside. His muddy paw prints were all over the door and door handle.

I know some people on here have maggot buckets to feed there chickens they chop up the critter and add it to the bucket and then feed the maggots to the chickens. Way good protien.

Good luck with getting this coon.

.... ok new rule, no reading the P&P forum during breakfast! I was eating rice crispies too!!!!!
hmm.png

Was not able to read through all the posts first so please forgive any repetition..........

Raccoons are a worry.....The only long term solution is to predator proof bird areas and then it will be irrelevant who is walking around day or night. Energy and resources directed here will have the most benefit.

In contrast, baiting/catching/killing/lecturing/relocating/psychoanalyzing preds is a never ending and for some of us, worrisome and weighty (morally, emotionally), task.

Raccoons are up and about more and more in the daytime these days. It does not necessarily mean they are sick or rabid. They tend to be slower, almost lumbering, and less aggressive in the daytime. I once had one walk right past a hen in mid afternoon - thought I was seeing things. It paid absolutely no attention to her and then the little darling decided to follow it! Boy did I move fast to stop her! No one got hurt. (then we had a talk "Lesson #1 my little pretty, do not - and I repeat - DO NOT - follow raccoons") It was after this experience that I began researching daytime appearances of raccoons and learned more about their change in habits in recent years. Not long afterward, I was walking in a nearby wooded area and saw 2 raccoons having an argument in broad daylight over a napping spot in a tree. They settled their spat and then went on about their business.

Poison is indiscriminate so I could never use it.

Bizzy/Kasandra, my sincerest condolences about your cat - so sad to hear this.
hugs.gif

JJ

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom