There is a WILD TURKEY in my yard!

rooster-red

Here comes the Rooster
12 Years
Jun 10, 2007
Douglasville GA
About 30 minutes ago I was out in the yard and noticed a large bird wandering around at the edge of the woods, so I ran to get my camera.

I think its an Eastern Wild Turkey, but I don't know much about turkeys.

I've never seen one in the wild before in my 43 years, but had read that they were making a comeback here in the Southeast.

I'm still a little stunned to see it walk out of the woods, it won't let me get closer than about 60 feet from it, and boy can it run!

2008-06June04-06.jpg
2008-06June04-07.jpg
2008-06June04-08.jpg
2008-06June04-09.jpg
2008-06June04-10.jpg

Back home where I lived in Georgia we had 13 turkey hens that traveled through the property and across the driveway every day. I miss seeing them. I have never seen one up here in Va.

We have them in the woods across the road from us. One day I was out riding and was flew up right in front of us. I jumped but my mare looked back at me like I was crazy. I wasn't scared it just surprised me but she knew it was there. When we lived in Kansas I'd go out riding in the pasture and the pheasants would fly right up in front of the horses. I was sad living in Nebraska and not seeing turkey but now they are all around.
smile.png

How cool is that!!!!

We had a wild Tom run down our driveway a couple of weeks ago - and some early mornings I can hear the gobble gobble going on - sounds SO cool!
lol.png
I wish I had had my camera - a guy that was here and saw the turkey on our driveway - said it was the biggest darn tom he had ever seen!

Back
Top Bottom