There is a WILD TURKEY in my yard!

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by rooster-red, Jun 4, 2008.

1. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    About 30 minutes ago I was out in the yard and noticed a large bird wandering around at the edge of the woods, so I ran to get my camera.

I think its an Eastern Wild Turkey, but I don't know much about turkeys.

I've never seen one in the wild before in my 43 years, but had read that they were making a comeback here in the Southeast.

I'm still a little stunned to see it walk out of the woods, it won't let me get closer than about 60 feet from it, and boy can it run!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    [​IMG] LEE!!! That is soooo cool!!! I've never even seen a wild one much less had one in my yard!!!! [​IMG]

3. domromer

domromer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2007
    Flagstaff,AZ
    great shots. We get those in our yard every so often. Their so cool looking.

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Back home where I lived in Georgia we had 13 turkey hens that traveled through the property and across the driveway every day. I miss seeing them. I have never seen one up here in Va.

5. chickfillhay

chickfillhay Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Berlin Nh
    WOW!!!The pictures look like................Well, Its like finding sasquach!!WOW!! [​IMG]

6. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    We have them in the woods across the road from us. One day I was out riding and was flew up right in front of us. I jumped but my mare looked back at me like I was crazy. I wasn't scared it just surprised me but she knew it was there. When we lived in Kansas I'd go out riding in the pasture and the pheasants would fly right up in front of the horses. I was sad living in Nebraska and not seeing turkey but now they are all around.[​IMG]

7. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    I have so many turkeys here in fact chickens are more rare than turkeys here. I think I counted 30-35 turkeys last week!

8. chickachickawhat

chickachickawhat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    hartford county ct
    i see wild turkeys almost very day where i live even tom turkeys and i see the baby poults a lot to

9. Blooming chicks

Blooming chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Bucks County
    Two weeks ago I had to stop on the road to let about 16 of them to cross. A couple were mixed with white feathering.

10. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    How cool is that!!!!

We had a wild Tom run down our driveway a couple of weeks ago - and some early mornings I can hear the gobble gobble going on - sounds SO cool! [​IMG] I wish I had had my camera - a guy that was here and saw the turkey on our driveway - said it was the biggest darn tom he had ever seen!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by