There is so many kinds of chickens- is there one that is different that you would like to try?

Mrs. K

Crossing the Road
14 Years
Nov 12, 2009
western South Dakota
I had a wreck. Am thinking of ordering today... know some tried and true breeds that will be on the list. But is there something if you could, would you get? Not BA, BO, Reds, Leghorns - they are on my list

Oh yes!!!

There are so many I was looking forward to having in my flock. Then vND struck our area and every chick not born in my own coop was suddenly out of reach.

I wanted a Swedish Flower Hen, an Adalusian, a Black Copper Marans and in time I know I would have wanted more. I keep hoping one day that will be a possibility again...

Keep your climate in mind when doing your ordering! There are breeds who do better in cold Winters and others who tolerate hot Summers better. There are also breeds who are adept foragers and some who are happier in the confinement of a run. Egg and feather colors are seductive and wonderful but adaptability to your climate and circumstances are very important.

Last edited:
If I had looked more into chickens before I had purchased mine, I would have went for the colored egg layers. They are just so pretty to me.

I wouldn't be without SFHs; great foragers, reliable layers, robust health, and very pretty to look at! None of mine have gone broody yet - you may view that as a pro or a con! (Fortunately I've got other hens that do go broody so raise more SFHs for me :D )

ok, just spent some time on a hatchery sight, holey moley, so much fun!

I have 13 picked out... I KNOW I really do not need a flock that big..... but what they hay! it is my birthday money and I am spending it. Maybe I will get 15, and sell started pullets later?

Is that possible?

Mrs K - chicken math is fun, when you have a completely empty coop! I checked out started pullets - but eesh, pretty pricey. I have asked around here locally, and no one will take pity on me. So a do over....

* prairie blue bell - cross bred to leghorns - 290 blue eggs
* starlight green - cross bred to brown egg layer - 280 green
* calico princess - production red bird - 290 cream
* cinnamon queen - production red - 260 brown
* BO - cause I have always had a few of these in my flock
* Brown leghorn - 280 white eggs
* buckeye - I have a wee problem with mice

Should make for a colorful basket, and pretty good egg production.

You forgot the Chanteclers, so maybe you aren't on the Cackle site? And how about French Marans, with those nice dark eggs? And Speckled Sussex, a personal favorite?
SO MANY CHOICES!
Mary

Too many choices, I made a list, made another list, crossed out, and added too. And now a fellow chicken lady, is calling, and we might add more, or subtract more, (well lets be real, we are not really into the subtracting mode).

Back
Top Bottom