There is still good in the world.

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by I have WHAT in my yard?, Nov 21, 2009.

1. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    I don't even know what to say to this:

We have an elderly neighbor. They've known DH all of his life and we helped out as we could when his wife was ill and after she died I would make an extra plate of dinner and bring it over, not because he needed food, but because I was afraid he wouldn't cook for himself. DH has always plowed his drive and done other yard work for him.

He's an independent old cuss for 87 and still manages pretty well on his own.

He stopped by just now. He said he had heard that DH lost his job. He said he had grown up during the depression and he saw what it did to his father. He said that he himself had been very successful in life but that he never once lost sight of the fact that he was no better and no smarter than his own father. He recognized that there were things outside of people's control that could really set them back.

He said he and his wife had been simple people and never went without, but never went for what wasn't needed or useful. So he wanted to give us an early christmas present. I protested that I didn't want him doing without on our behalf and he said , "Nonsense! I have over a million dollars to my name and I am not going to outlive it at any rate of spending!" This is the man who just bought his first new car in 12 years - a used Subaru! Then he listed all of the things we had done for him and how much he appreciated that we cared about him.

And he gave me a check for $1,000.

He said it was a gift for christmas and if he saw it back or it didn't get cashed he would be insulted.

2. Fuzzy_Hat_Farm

Fuzzy_Hat_Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Maryland
    you've earned it. Sounds like you were there when he needed you and he's repaying your kindness. you've treated him like family looking after him, now he's treating you as though were were his children and seeing that you're taken care of too. If only more people would look after each other....

Cash that check. It really will make him feel good to know that he was able to thank you for what you've done for him. Bless your heart for being there for him when he needed you. [​IMG]

3. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Wow!!! What a blessing for both your family and your neighbor. Make sure you take him a Thanksgiving dinner plate [​IMG]

4. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:I agree, he thinks of you as family, and from the sounds of it you treat him as if he is. I would be gratefull to have a neighbour like that.

5. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    I have WHAT in my yard? :

I would make an extra plate of dinner and bring it over

I think I would set a place at the table for him this year. [​IMG]

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

He is being a blessing to you and your family, just as you have been a blessing to him. Your story brought tears to my eyes. [​IMG]

7. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    I'm so happy I could... [​IMG]

I love ALL of you!! That is sooo sweet. Yes, he gets invited to ALL family functions now and a Sunday dinner here and there. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

love love love

hugs,
    gretch

8. kees

kees Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    This is what the spirit of Thanksgiving is all about, not shopping or materialism.

Suzy
    [​IMG]

9. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

The circle of giving at its very finest...

10. mamawolf544

mamawolf544 Unbreakable Heart

Apr 29, 2009
    alvarado, Tx
    I have tears in my eyes. How sweet. There is still so much kindness out there.
    Your Family has done a very fine thing. Now you let him do what he needs to do.[​IMG]
    Terri

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by