There is still good in the world.

I have WHAT in my yard?

Songster
11 Years
Jun 24, 2008
Eggberg, PA
I don't even know what to say to this:

We have an elderly neighbor. They've known DH all of his life and we helped out as we could when his wife was ill and after she died I would make an extra plate of dinner and bring it over, not because he needed food, but because I was afraid he wouldn't cook for himself. DH has always plowed his drive and done other yard work for him.

He's an independent old cuss for 87 and still manages pretty well on his own.

He stopped by just now. He said he had heard that DH lost his job. He said he had grown up during the depression and he saw what it did to his father. He said that he himself had been very successful in life but that he never once lost sight of the fact that he was no better and no smarter than his own father. He recognized that there were things outside of people's control that could really set them back.

He said he and his wife had been simple people and never went without, but never went for what wasn't needed or useful. So he wanted to give us an early christmas present. I protested that I didn't want him doing without on our behalf and he said , "Nonsense! I have over a million dollars to my name and I am not going to outlive it at any rate of spending!" This is the man who just bought his first new car in 12 years - a used Subaru! Then he listed all of the things we had done for him and how much he appreciated that we cared about him.

And he gave me a check for $1,000.

He said it was a gift for christmas and if he saw it back or it didn't get cashed he would be insulted.

you've earned it. Sounds like you were there when he needed you and he's repaying your kindness. you've treated him like family looking after him, now he's treating you as though were were his children and seeing that you're taken care of too. If only more people would look after each other....

Cash that check. It really will make him feel good to know that he was able to thank you for what you've done for him. Bless your heart for being there for him when he needed you.
clap.gif

Quote:
I agree, he thinks of you as family, and from the sounds of it you treat him as if he is. I would be gratefull to have a neighbour like that.

I have WHAT in my yard? :

I would make an extra plate of dinner and bring it over

I think I would set a place at the table for him this year.
smile.png

I'm so happy I could...
hit.gif

I love ALL of you!! That is sooo sweet. Yes, he gets invited to ALL family functions now and a Sunday dinner here and there.
wee.gif

love.gif

love love love

hugs,
gretch

This is what the spirit of Thanksgiving is all about, not shopping or materialism.

Suzy
love.gif

I have tears in my eyes. How sweet. There is still so much kindness out there.
Your Family has done a very fine thing. Now you let him do what he needs to do.
love.gif

Terri

Back
Top Bottom