there should be a warning posted

PS - NO MORE NEWS PAPER!! (just thgouth I'd throw that out there before the comments started
gig.gif

Quote:
Thanks! Wish we would have known sooner v
ep.gif
as you could imagine our surprise when we seen this. The thermometer just adds to the 'well done' picture. PLEASE NOTE - CHICK IS NOT DEAD!!!! Although, we thought it was for a minute!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-csUHSHnNn7U/TZu-a2olODI/AAAAAAAAAHE/UQ_6t0ZqG3E/s1600/DSCN7302.JPG

LOL. That picture is priceless
smile.png
Don't have any chicks yet (15 days!!!) but I would definately be freaking out if I looked in and saw that.

These posts are just too good to read!! I'm so excited for our chicks to get here and now it's even worse. We can't wait to see them do some of their silly antics and the picture of the chick that looks dead...wow...that's all we can say...we're glad we come across these posts so that we don't freak out everytime one of our chicks does something we think is out of the norm!

I am a farm-raised girl, where chickens were livestock and raised by Mama Hen, so this is my first time raising the fuzzy-butts myself, in the house where I can watch them all the time. I am almost too embarrassed to admit that I am reluctant to put them outside (where they belong) now that they are six weeks old, fully feathered and the temps warm, because I will miss them and have become so used to checking on them and watching them every hour or so. They are not even outside yet, and I am already suffering from "Empty Nest" Syndrome. Sigh...

Quote:
As soon as they hatch. Chickens of all ages love to dustbathe.
Dust can be sand--it can also be dust, dirt (it'll dry out quickly), ash, or a combination thereof.

My neighbor once called me horrified that something had killed all my laying hens and left their bodies strewn across my front yard. After a long cold wet spring the sun was finally shining and every hen even the ducks was sprawled in the grass wings spread soaking up the rays. LOL!! I called her back and assured her they were just working on their tans.

The first morning after we had brought our two 12 week old "babies" here for our new chicken tractor I looked out the window as soon as I got up. I saw one of the girls laid out flat and panicked and ran out in my pajamas. She jumped up all started and gave me the "WTH" look. I was convinced all day that she was dying and was practically glued to the window. A few days later right before "bedtime" I dug them up some grubs and hand fed them. A few minutes later when they put them selves to bed they were very vocal and seemed upset. I was sure that I had fed them poisonous grubs. It took a few days for me to get used to their habits and that was normal for them.

Back
Top Bottom