1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

there's a deer? on my couch???

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by ntiveheart, Jan 31, 2009.

1. ntiveheart

ntiveheart Chillin' With My Peeps

2. Black Feather

Black Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Awwww....I'm sorry to hear the deer didn't make it. Don't feel bad, at least she/he died in an environment that was warm and comfortable.

UC

3. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

Good for you for bringing her into your home and giving her a comfortable, warm place to rest. I am sorry she didn't make it [​IMG]

4. ntiveheart

ntiveheart Chillin' With My Peeps

i'm sorry she didn't make it too! i couldn't find a rehabber anywhere.....not in my state, not even in the southeast. at least no one who would answer the phone. i DID leave several messages, and do you know, no one has returned the call yet!

come monday, i am redoubling my efforts to find someone local so if this ever happens again, i at least have someone that can help me.

the folks in the chat room were great last night. there was lots of advice, lots of encouragement, and lots of support. at least i didn't feel totally alone in the situation. to each and everyone of you, i'd like to say thank you! ya'll rock! (like KISS even)

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    ooh, thank you for helping that deer!...you are awesome!...[​IMG]..sorry she didnt make it....[​IMG]

6. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Never a dull moment when you have kids, eh? What a great mom you are to care enough to do that. Nobody is going to believe the stories that yearling is tellin in deer heaven [​IMG]

7. curliet

curliet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    west Michigan
    no judgements here, but you may have had some problems getting help for this poor baby because the laws concerning possession of wild game are so strict and the penalties are so high. I ache for you, trying to do what you feel is right, and do agree with your emotion. But most states are of the opinion that emotion has nothing to do with this kind of situation. If your son had been caught with this fawn (or at this time of year more likely a teenager) in his car he could have had his car and driver's license taken away, and if anyone else had gotten involved, like a vet, etc, they could have lost their right to practice. I'm sorry that the fawn didn't make it, and am glad that you and your family didn't get in trouble for having the fawn with you. Thanks for making it comfy for it's last hours.

8. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:Ok that piggy in your avatar is too very cute!!!!

I am very sorry the deer was lost, however, I am glad that you gave it warmth in it's last hours. You are a good heart!

9. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    aaawwww sorry the deer did not make it. It is so hard to help one that has been hit because shock alone will kill them and they can have such severe internal injuries. The fact the deer was not struggling and kicking and yelling tells me she was in shock and seriously injured internally...poor thing. I would have done the same thing...and have with nearly every critter that roams the US.

Drool should come out with some club soda and warm water...you could also use a steam cleaner on it.

I do not mean to sound cruel but ummmm do you know how to field dress a deer? If it were here ... it would be in the freezer in a few hours.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  10. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

awe [​IMG] Sorry about the deer... but nice to know it had a nice place to spend its last moments [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by