There's A Wolf In My Living Room

Remus is beautiful.
smile.png
. The howling is my favorite part of having a wolf dog. Its truly magical.

Training can definitely make a wolf dog a very rewarding companion. However, you must be persistent. Labaze I hope you can post more pics
smile.png
. I will try to get some pics tomorrow of my pair.

Those photos of Remus are adorable, and I like the name too.
big_smile.png

Just on a personal level and theoretical level, I'd probably own a straight wolf before a wolf-dog because I am hesitant about mixing a human-fearful animal with one that is not. But, I haven't met any wolf-dogs to get an idea on what they are like.
hu.gif

It really depends on the wolf percentage. The several I have been around have all been very aloof with strangers and very demanding of their owners. They aren't something you can really socialize and have them be like a regular dog, that is, if they are a good percentage wolf. There are a lot of supposed wolf-dogs being bred that have little to NO wolf blood, and just as expected they act like a regular dog. I would never trust them with any stranger in the house or with kids, but that is my own personal opinion.

Quote:
That defiantly makes a lot of sense. Jamie is right though. The content affects the behavior. Mid and Low content tend to have a lot of dog qualities which can make them very dangerous. High contents tend to be very shy and timid. I personally would prefer a high content over a mid because it's much more shy and wolf like. A creature with the power of a wolf but the guarding ability of a dog could be fatal if not trained properly.

My family had a wolfdog when I was a kid. He was absolutely beautiful. He was also unpredictable in certain stressful situations. I think it is important for people to understand that these animals are not for everyone, in fact, they are not appropriate for most people. They require a lot of attention and room to run. They must be kept busy or they will find a way to entertain themselves (this is what gets people/pets hurt or killed). They certainly are not stupid animals, I think the problem would more likely be that they are smarter than their human keepers. People should also consider the fact they they are often illegal to keep (here they are regulated county by county). Homeowner's insurance usually will not insure your home if you have the either.

I would not be recommending that people run out and get one. Many people have a hard enough time keeping up with their little froo froo cockershnoodledoo dogs. Check out the "Predators and Pests" section in this forum and you will see what I mean.
hmm.png

Quote:
Your right. Wolf Dogs are not for your "average" household. Sadly, many areas are banning wolf dogs. Someone who can't control their dogs shouldn't even consider getting a wolf dog. If you can't show your the alpha your setting your self up for many issues down the road.

That defiantly makes a lot of sense. Jamie is right though. The content affects the behavior. Mid and Low content tend to have a lot of dog qualities which can make them very dangerous. High contents tend to be very shy and timid. I personally would prefer a high content over a mid because it's much more shy and wolf like. A creature with the power of a wolf but the guarding ability of a dog could be fatal if not trained properly.

Definitely makes sense about the content offering a spectrum of behavior. Coy-dogs are something else I occasionally hear mention of, but they always seem to be first generation crosses. Has anyone had experience with those just out of curiosity? I think any percentage would be too wily and smart for me to keep up with. XD​

Back
Top Bottom