There's A Wolf In My Living Room

We have had two wolfdogs come and go in our lives. The first one's name was Salem. He was a beautiful (neutered) 3 year old 98% Timber. He had the golden wolf eyes that you do not see on a lot of the wolfdogs. Everyone thought he was pure wolf. He was a great companion, but unfortunately, like many wolfdogs he did not listen very well. He would run for the door every time someone would come in or out of the house and he was able to get outside on several occasions. As long as you had him on a leash outside he was very well mannered....but loose outside without a leash he was NOT coming back into the house or getting to let you catch him until he was ready. The last time he made it outside he was gone for several hours. We were scared to death that neighbors would see him, not know he was not an actual wolf and shoot him thinking he was dangerous (because he was not scared to approach a stranger). We ended up finding him another home for his own safety, but not before he got bored in our car when we ran into the store one day for a few minutes and he chewed every seatbelt in the car in half. That was back before you had to wear seatbelts in the backseat...was pretty hard to explain to people that they couldn't wear the seatbelt if they wanted to because our "wolf" had chewed them up. The OP said wolfdogs are not guard animals, but I truly believe that if anyone ever tried to hurt me Salem would have done anything he could have to protect me. He was very protective of me and we got really bonded. It broke my heart to have to rehome him and I still regret doing it, but I know had he ever gotten outside and anyone seen him it would have cost him his life. We tried to lock him in another room when we knew we were going outside but sometimes my grandparents would come over and forget to let us know they were there before opening the door. It just was not a good situation for him. I remember one timed he got out and I lured him back in with donuts
lol.png
. That didn't always work though. We also tried to crate him to keep him from going out the door but he literally destroyed a wire crate in a matter of minutes one day and was able to get out. That was right after we got him and didn't trust him entirely yet. We came home to find a wolf in our bed. That was kinda scary. Of course he never showed any aggression (including food, you could take food out of his mouth) to us or any of our other animals.

I wish I still had pictures of him but they were on our old computer that crashed.

The second wolfdog that came into our lives was years later. She is a low content named Tundra. She was a lot more obedient then Salem. She was given to us when our owner had to move suddenly and knew we had owned a wolfdog in the past. She looked mostly husky and had blue eyes. She was a very pretty girl, but she did not do well with cats so we ended up finding her a good home with another friend of ours who had a wolfdog. She was still a puppy (6-7 months old) and so she ended up doing really well in her new home.

Salem did wake us up a few times with his howling. It was magnificent. Though it is pretty eerie to pull up to your house at night after dark and hear the distinct howl of a wolf so close by.

The OP is right when they say wolfdogs are companions and not pets.

Last edited:
Quote:
Definitely makes sense about the content offering a spectrum of behavior. Coy-dogs are something else I occasionally hear mention of, but they always seem to be first generation crosses. Has anyone had experience with those just out of curiosity? I think any percentage would be too wily and smart for me to keep up with. XD

A my grandparents' old neighbors had a coy-dog. They had a female dog come into heat and no males dogs around. She went missing a few days and when she came back she was running with a pack of coyotes. She eventually got pretty large and so they knew she was pregnant. Tried to find out who had a male dog in the area. No one did. She had the puppies and they kept one. You can definitely tell it has coyote in it. The first time I ever seen it I said "that dog looks like a coyote"...she said that's because it is a half. I don't know if they still have it because my grandparents moved, but there was no doubting what it was if you ever said it. It was a good farm dog though it didn't stay home.

Not sure anyone really keeps coyotes enough to purposely breed for them. The puppy they kept was a male and they got him fixed pretty quick because of his roaming (didn't help), so there wasn't much chance of another generation. I think most of them are accidental.

I have lived with wolf dogs for over 17 years. We have two now that are 14 years old. The Female, Nizhoni, is 85% timber crossed with malamute. Bear,the male, is wolf malmute and sherherd. They are not dogs,but are the most loyal and smart animals I have ever been around. I did breed them and the male I still have is the last one of my line that I know of. We lost his half brother last year at age 13. His father passed several years ago. I know I will not have these two much longer and am thinking of getting a cub again if I can find the right one. Being part of their pack is a privlege.

To this day our wolf dog has been our best dog.

I probably will not have another one because it is next to impossible to contain them. Our first one was half husky half wolf. She was amazing. Though she got out and got hit by a car and lost one of her front legs. It did not slow her down. We electrified the bottom of our very large 3/4 acre yard because she would dig out. She managed to get pregnant by the neighbors chow. We electrified the top of the normal size chain link fence because she would climb it. Then the day before she delivered 13 puppies, she jumped the fence like a deer. 3 legs and 13 puppies, just cleared it.

She would jump the fence and wait with my son for the bus (he was about 9), soon as he got on, she jumped back in the yard.

We came home and she was having puppies all over the yard, we put them in the dog house on the porch and she would not stay in. My son had to go lay down with her to get her to feed them. They were best friends!

She was never agressive with any of my children or their friends. My mom kept one of her pups and she was the best dog!

We went on vacation and had someone watching the dogs and she got out (probably looking for Matt) and never came back. She looked like a Coyote, so I am assuming someone shot her.

My ex wanted another one, so we got a 98% wolf (100% wolves are illegal in Oklahoma, I was told, so many times they say 98% so they can have them). She was great also. (Though she hated car rides.) We moved to the city and could not keep her so we donated her to a wild life park and she loved it.

I love the howling. When I had all four of them we would all howl together. They were so good with my late husband when he was sick. One of them would be near him all of the time. The night he died at home each of them went up to him stood for a moment by the bed like they knew and were saying goodbye. They had been by his side for all five years of his illness. They are wonderful animals but not for everyone. Nizhoni, the high % was the only one I really had trouble keeping in. She could dig out of anything and even moved a huge rock that I placed in one of her escape holes as a temporary measure so I could fix the fence. She is old now and has lost interest in escaping. I do keep them penned in a large wooded run with acess to the back of my barn for shelter. They perfer to lay out under the trees even in the snow. Sometimes in the morning after a heavy snow I will call them and two "snowdrifts" will jump up and shake.

These are my babies
smile.png

46006_simbas_face.jpg

46006_simba.jpg

46006_sashas_face.jpg

46006_sasha_laying_down.jpg

46006_sasha_close_up.jpg

46006_sasha1.jpg

And there friends the danes:

46006_diamond.jpg

46006_cookie.jpg

Thank you
smile.png
. I love them all very much. However they can be quite a handful when all together.

Back
Top Bottom