There's A Wolf In My Living Room

yuckyuck.gif

Hey all! I'm new to this thread, but I used to have wolfdogs and do wolfdog rescue as well. It was an amazing experience on both fronts. I'd just add this: wolfdog babies are still called pups :) And if you buy from a reputable breeder that will be HONEST with you about content, you can expect to pay $500 and up plus shipping. Lots of disreputable breeders call their pups "high content" when in fact they're mid content at best, usually low. One of the things I enjoyed doing was evaluating content based on behavior and certain physical markers. Here's a pic of my Indiana:

I know, you're thinking he's pure, right? Wrong. He was a 59% F3 (or 4, dangit, having a brain fart). F is the number of generations removed from pure wolf. I bought him from a reputable breeder, and all told, his bill came to $1000. And no, he wasn't tied out all the time--he was a house dog, but took some SERIOUS supervision.
I can't tell you how many miles I logged doing transports, but I do know that I did 2 that were over 24 hours of straight driving. Then there were calls from shelters that were going to label a certain animal a "wolfdog" (meaning an instant death sentence) when in fact, the pup in question was just a husky.
Wolfdogs don't make great pets. They're destructive, escape artists, and STRONG. If they're not socialized to every little thing and trained well (here's a hint: choke collars just make them fight you harder), they'll pull you over one way or the other trying to get to or away from something unless you're prepared. It's easy for them to become fear biters. As watch dogs . . .well, they'll watch while somebody takes all your stuff.
But they are beautiful, independent souls. It takes a special kind of person to successfully own wolfdogs. I'm just blessed to have had them in my life, and to be able to help more.

Thanks, Kevin! And Layna, they can be stunning until they chew up something you loved. Then you're stunned, LOL. Just another day in the life!
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom