Thermo-peep Pads For Brooding? Other Alternatives?

H Diamond

Songster
5 Years
Jan 26, 2014
Have any of you guys used these for brooding? http://www.amazon.com/Manufacturing...1457914769&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=thermo+peeop

Do you just lay them on the floor of the brooder, or mount them so the chicks can run under like a sweeter or brinsea?
Thoughts on if it would work? I've read several threads on the use of heating pads, etc, and wondering if I could do the same with this. I'd like to get away from heat lamps. I've looked into ceramic bulbs too, but they are just as big of a fire hazard imo.

Thanks!

Hey, my husband just bought this product, and I have the same question about the Thermo-peep. Where do you put it? How hot does it get? How do you know it is warm enough, but not too hot? Have you used it, and how did it work? Thanks for your help.

I found some info in the reviews of the thermo peep on amazon. Looks interesting. Most reviews started they used it indoor. I bet it would work outdoors if you made a cave over it like the mama heating pad.

I will tell you something interesting and what I've found. I just started thinking... nature doesn't use a heat lamp. Yes, chicks should have their mom to keep them warm, but that doesn't always happen either. I don't know where you are located, but I am in the SF Bay Area, and it never really gets too cold here, maybe high 50's to low 60's right now at night and much warmer in the day in the low 70's.

I recently added an EE chick to my crew and she was 4 days old. From day one I have NEVER used a heat lamp or any other type of light on her. She is now a happy 3 week and 4 days old chick! I put a few socks in the crate and a small heating pad that doesn't get very hot (a little circle heat pad I got from Walmart a few years ago for like $9.99). She sleeps on it at night. I also cut a shoe box in half and made a little fort for her, pad is on the bottom.

I think we coddle them too much. My chick is also feathering nicely. I guess it depends on where you live and what your temps are like,

Disclaimer: Try this at your own risk!

Yes! The Thermo-peep pad is doing a great job! Love it! I just decided to try it. It's 9x12 inches, hard plastic, and even has a protection on the cord.

It says in the instructions:

"When an animal lies on it, the pad will reach a maximum temperature of approximately 102 degree F. The built-in thermostat will automatically regulate the temperature."

So, the 4 day old guinea keets did fine, sleeping on the pad at night. They were indoors, its summer in NJ, so its between 60-80 degrees F in the house. I don't think I will be using my heat lamp again. The pad is surrounded by pine shavings, even though the instructions also say:

"Do not cover your Thermo-Peep with blankets or materials."

Ha! Oh well, it worked fine. I did clear a spot so that the chicks had the option of direct contact with the pad.

If this were outdoors, I would definitely build a little "cave-like" structure to trap the heat, because when I put my fingers on it, it is warm, but not that warm for a winter outside.

Back
Top Bottom