Thermometer discrepancy

n3kms

Songster
9 Years
Jun 28, 2010
Middle Tennessee
I have been using these two thermometers in my incubator. Removed them for the picture. The digital one has started showing lower and lower temps but the other has stayed consistent and at 99-100. The thermostat temp on the incubator itself shows 38*C when not disturbed. So I'm assuming that the incubator is maintaining the correct temp but what would make the digital one show incorrect temp? I used it for my last incubation with no problems. If battery was low wouldn't it just stop working? Puzzled. I like looking in and seeing same temp on both thermometers!

I have been using these two thermometers in my incubator. Removed them for the picture. The digital one has started showing lower and lower temps but the other has stayed consistent and at 99-100. The thermostat temp on the incubator itself shows 38*C when not disturbed. So I'm assuming that the incubator is maintaining the correct temp but what would make the digital one show incorrect temp? I used it for my last incubation with no problems. If battery was low wouldn't it just stop working? Puzzled. I like looking in and seeing same temp on both thermometers!
Could be the battery. I'd switch it out and see if it makes a difference. Then you could at least rule it out.

I guess that's what I'll do. I just have to go to Walmart and get one. It just freaks me out to look in and see 94* or 97* or whatever it decides to read.
I know. My two have been pretty consistant (I usually have three, but I have my bator full this time with eggs.) and yesterday one started reading higher than the other. I'm thinking about grabbing a little mercury or lightweight digital that can set on the eggs. It's nerve wracking. I really need to break down and buy one of the spot checks. I had planned to get the eggometer before this hatch but it didn't happen.

That little one I have was cheap on Amazon and has been working great. I'll
Let you know if a new battery solves the problem. I have no idea how long a battery is supposed to work. If it sits in there for three weeks, as with last time, then I used it some in the brooder, now it's been in a week for this incubation might well be low.

Back
Top Bottom