These are all roosters?

Shady

Songster
9 Years
Feb 11, 2010
WV
In February I got some packing peanuts with my Ideal order, I kept four of them. I'm pretty sure they are all roosters, but some of them look more like roosters than others. It doesn't really matter to me, but I am curious.

These first two chicks are looking a little like a pullets. Their combs aren't as red as the others and they have smaller tail feathers.
Chick 1:

Chick 2, this chick is super calm and easy to handle:

I have no doubt these two are roosters. They have much longer tail feathers and large red combs.
Chick 3:

Chick 4, who is very flighty and wouldn't sit still for pictures.

I'd love to know what everyone thinks. Thank you!

I'm curious as to what others think because I don't think any of them look like roosters. How old are they? I'd think by this age any males would have pretty significant wattles, which I'm not seeing on yours.

You have all roosters 100%, the lighter color is a dead give away! If these a Dominique's or Barred Rocks, they are very easy to sex from birth. Hens of this breed will be darker, with more black then white.

Last edited:
They are Barred Rocks and 9 weeks old. I didn't know about the color, that's pretty interesting!

In February I got some packing peanuts with my Ideal order, I kept four of them. I'm pretty sure they are all roosters, but some of them look more like roosters than others. It doesn't really matter to me, but I am curious. These first two chicks are looking a little like a pullets. Their combs aren't as red as the others and they have smaller tail feathers. Chick 1: Chick 2, this chick is super calm and easy to handle: I have no doubt these two are roosters. They have much longer tail feathers and large red combs. Chick 3: Chick 4, who is very flighty and wouldn't sit still for pictures. I'd love to know what everyone thinks. Thank you!
I'm curious as to what others think because I don't think any of them look like roosters. How old are they? I'd think by this age any males would have pretty significant wattles, which I'm not seeing on yours.
You have all roosters 100%, the lighter color is a dead give away! If these a Dominique's or Barred Rocks, they are very easy to sex from birth. Hens of this breed will be darker, with more black then white.
They are Barred Rocks and 9 weeks old. I didn't know about the color, that's pretty interesting!
They are all cockerels. Their combs, if pullets, should not be that red at that age.

Back
Top Bottom