They Are All Laying & I Am Overrun With Eggs

dangerouschicken

Will Barter For Coffee
12 Years
May 6, 2007
Columbia Gorge, OR
Last year, not enough eggs. This year, too many.
roll.png

So I am pulling in about 14 a day, mostly fertilzed, and all quite delicious.
tongue.png

I keep trying to get people hooked on them by passing them free dozens. I have one woman totally sold. I'm her pusherman.
lol.png
But other than her, no one else is buying.

I have placed online ads on our local Craig's List type thing, but so far nothing. What's a girl to do?
idunno.gif

I never thought it would come to this. Too many eggs? Who knew?

I only keep six layers, and we always have too many eggs. I love it- I have everyone at my office giving me egg cartons, and I cut them in half and bring 1/2 dozen eggs to people at no charge on a rotating basis. I do a favor for my co-workers, and we always eat eggs that are less than a couple of days old. It works out great!

Quote:
If you have food banks in your area- They would be good to give them some of the extras. Or you might even sell some on here. If they are fertile and you are getting a lot of eggs somebody here would probably love to raise some of the babies!! Just a couple of ideas for you!!

We had our pastor send around an email saying we had eggs for sale and needed cartons. We now get way more cartons than we can use and are getting more buyers each week.

If you also list under the title "Hatching Eggs for Sale" in the livestock section of Kijiji.com and Craigslist, you might find some takers as well. For those of us with children and new incubators, sometimes finding hatching eggs can be difficult. (I'm in Canada so eggbid and whatnot is out of the question...too much red tape)...don't even worry about it if they are not "pure" just list them as mixed flock eggs. You might get some people that would just like to come and pick some up
smile.png

Network with friends and family.

My mom's friends alone will take more eggs than my girls will lay.

P.S. Almost ready to start your seeds.
wee.gif

Is there a restaurant or coffee shop in your Oregon town that caters to the granola types (no aspersions being cast... I include myself in the type!
wink.png
) They probably have a bulletin board you can post a "For Sale" egg advert on. If you're ambitious, you might even sell to a small shop, for baking (14 eggs wouldn't be enough for restaurant breakfast), but that gets you into a whole different paperwork and inspection category, so you'd have to really want the hassle. Or see if a local CSA might want to include half dozens in their offerings, and would be willing to work with you.

edited to add stuff as the coffee seeped into my brain and made me smart.

Last edited:
Since DD is a 4-Her it makes it easier for me to appeal to the general public - "My daughter is selling eggs." I agree with others, give out free samples, ask at the healthfood store, anywhere... Interestingly, DD's #1 customer runs a pizza joint & eats healthfully at home(!)
Oh, and we give to our local food bank. Churches will take food, too.

Good luck with spreading your good fortune around.

Getting a dozen a day is here for my hens...and the number set to rise daily. We are just starting our egg push. We too cut the cartons in half and pass them out to just about anyone. We had more commitments to buy eggs then eggs...I love the food pantry idea and this would be my route if I had excess...but my flock loves scrambled eggs as much as the dogs and the cats...sooo for now I can see your shoes but don't walk in them. When I go over 2 dozen a day then I may find they fit me well! Best wishes for your eggs and your flock.
jumpy.gif
:jumpy

We have 20 hens and just got our first egg today, but I have 4 employees who will gladly take a dozen a week, and then some!!
I cant wait , I love going and checking to see if they have laid yet.

Back
Top Bottom